Author Topic: Escape from DC  (Read 66188 times)

Offline dcstrom

• Super Tenere information
Escape from DC
« on: September 02, 2012, 12:52:46 pm »
This has been a few years in the planning, but finally, I'm out.

Not really much of a plan, most of the work has been prepping the bike (and in this i include buying, and rejecting, a KLR and Weestrom before settling on the S10), working out finances and whatever i might need for Sth America, and getting out of the job and the house.

Yesterday - departure day - was very stressful. After selling or giving away everthing (and shipping a few things to Perth), all I'm left with is the bike and whatever I can carry on it.

Which, it turns out, is too much! I did a trial load a while ago, wasn't too bad, but still more than I'd like - 170lbs including the weight of luggage. Since then I've added a number of "must have" items that I probably won't need. I also had to add a few items at the last minute, that should have been in the Perth shipment. At least I can get rid of those at the next post office.

Not to worried, I'm looking at this as "revision 1.0" of my setup, I'll fine tune as I go.

Left late yesterday and only got to Cumberland MD - I was shattered from the work over the last few days (I'd sold my AC's so the house was like a sauna...)

Heading to Michigan now then west via Sth Dakota, Montana, Idaho. Not breaking any speed records, so hoping to have time to get the blog up and running.

Heading off into the remnants of Isaac now - the Badlands will show its worth (I hope!)
Currently travelling from DC to Argentina http://tinyurl.com/EscapeFromDC
http://supertenere1200.com/

Offline japako

Re: Escape from DC
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 01:32:12 pm »
Congrats on finally making it. ::012::
I hope you will have a great adventure and have many great stories to tell.
Ride Safe..
Jim

2012  Blue Super Tenere  Sold
2011  WR250R

www.rideonadv.com

Offline NittanyXT

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 01:41:44 pm »
Have a GREAT trip! Look forward to the blog.

Offline spklbuk

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 01:45:49 pm »
Safe and joyful journeys sir.
Montani Semper Liberi

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
― Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac

Offline Don in Lodi

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 03:00:10 pm »
There is a reason you see spare tires tied on the back of you're truly long haulers. You'll become one as well soon.
Looking forward to watching your travels. Drop me a line if California is in the cards.
Safe Journey.

Don in Lodi
2012 Tenere
1997 Royal Star
1984 CB900
1986 XL600
1981 XL185
1969 CT90

"ride what you want, want what you ride"

Offline Dirt_Dad

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 03:26:58 pm »
Safe travels to you, Trevor.  Been a pleasure riding with you and I do hope you enjoy the adventure wherever it may lead.  I'm sure it will take you places you never expected.  Enjoy.
17 Super Tenere ES
15 Super Tenere ES
12 Super Tenere (currently for sale at Romney Cycles)
12 Yamaha XT250
13 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline dcstrom

Escape from DC
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 03:30:17 pm »
There is a reason you see spare tires tied on the back of you're truly long haulers.

Thanks guys.

Don, I'm hoping a set of k60s will save me that grief. I'm thinking a fresh set just before leaving the US will get me to Chile, where our friend Roberto tells me I can get more.

Offline dcstrom

Escape from DC
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 04:50:50 pm »
Safe travels to you, Trevor.  Been a pleasure riding with you and I do hope you enjoy the adventure wherever it may lead.  I'm sure it will take you places you never expected.  Enjoy.

Thanks Jon - it's not an adventure if you know what to expect, eh?

That's why I think over-planning is not necessarily a good thing - especially when there are few time constraints. I have to be in Yellowstone mid-September, southern California mid-October. Other than that, I'm just going to see where the road leads me.

Offline tpak

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 07:41:17 pm »
 ::026:: 

Holler if you end up in Colorado! And make sure we know where the blog will be.

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 02:15:52 pm »
Trevor -
It's been a really busy summer and I wish I could've said "Good Travels" in person, so this will be it.
It's been a pleasure to meet you & I've fallen in love with "Big Agnes." 

So are you now going to change your forum name to ThaiTenere or something?
 ;)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 02:19:41 pm by Checkswrecks »
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline 20valves

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 02:47:01 pm »
 ::017::
Raven Black Super Ten
'14 KTM 500 EXC
'13 FJR, '06 R1 LE
'09 T Max

Offline limey

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 04:08:36 pm »
Good luck  ::008::

Offline merchant

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 08:49:41 pm »
You're my hero!  Can't wait to read up on your adventures. 
There is no spoon.

Offline dcstrom

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 11:50:31 pm »
Thanks all for your support and good wishes.

Going well so far, but only in Iowa. Hard to believe I'm only making 250 miles a day on the Super Tenere, yet the last time I was out this way on the KLR I was (litterally) busting my arse doing 500-700 miles a day. Something to do with having a lot of miles to cover but not much time before I had to be back at work.

Part of my current job description is setting up and breaking down the camp. I'll have to improve at that. Last night was warm, still and with clear skies, and only a small chance of rain in the forecast - I thought it would be OK to leave the fly off the tent and watch the stars through the mesh. Sure enough around 2am the wind started whipping through the treetops. I couldn't see the stars any more. I frantically starting putting the fly on the tent and trying to get stuff under cover, thunder and lightning start crashing and flashing away...  It still hadn't started raining though so I thought I would be ok. That's when I start hearing branches falling from the trees... Oh crap. I wasn't fond of any of the sites when I set up - they were all the same, under more or less tree cover. I'd set the tent up as much as possible in the open, but the bike was under a tree. I hadn't been too worried, it was such a calm night.

The wind's still howling and the next thing I hear is something pinging off the bike's gas tank. Crap. I'm thinking about moving the bike but have no shoes on and it's partially loaded and heavy. I decide I'm just going to put the cover on it and as I'm doing that something goes clunk on my head. Double crap, this is getting dodgy. I rub my scalp and feel blood.

The tent is close enough to the trees that a branch could go through it so I say smurf it and leave the bike and the tent and retreat to the shower block till the worst of the storm passes. I went back to the tent in the rain but at least the wind had died down.

In the morning I find a mememto of the storm - a quarter-sized ding in the gas tank. Nice. Thank you mr murphy and your stupid law.

Heading for Sth Dakota where on Friday I should become that great state's newest resident. Shit - who knows the name of their football team, in case somebody asks?

Trevor

Offline Dirt_Dad

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 05:08:59 pm »
Sounds like the adventure has officially begun.  Maybe this is why I don't like camping. Be careful out there.

According to Mr. Google your favorite football team is the University of South Dakota Coyotes.  Goyotes!!!

By the way, you once mentioned you were planning to establish a different site for official tracking of your journey.  Is that still the case?
17 Super Tenere ES
15 Super Tenere ES
12 Super Tenere (currently for sale at Romney Cycles)
12 Yamaha XT250
13 Suzuki DR650SE