Author Topic: extended clutch line install - easy Qs  (Read 266 times)

Offline Eville Rich

extended clutch line install - easy Qs
« on: November 11, 2017, 12:56:21 pm »

I'm in the middle of installing extended clutch and brake lines.  Working on the clutch side for now.  I've got the kit from RideOnAdv, going onto my 2016 S10.

I'm wondering about differences between the stock and extended lines, in terms of parts and installation. My kit only has the hoses and the crush washers. The stock hose has the rubber piece around the hose as well as a rubber guard adjacent to where the hard line connects.  Do either of these stock pieces need to be used with the new line?  Or can I just install the new line as-is without worry about abrasion. In taking things apart, I foolishly didn't take a pic and forgot whether or not the P clamp goes around the rubber guard (near the hard line junction). 

So far the removal has gone better than expected. Install looks straight-forward other than these little details.  Thanks for any help!

Eville Rich
2016 S10
2015 WR250R

Offline Eville Rich

Re: extended clutch line install
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 06:57:13 pm »

I decided to install the clutch line with just the RideOnAdv line.  Seems fine.  I was a little surprised at how good the clutch felt after the burp bleeding.  Clearly it needed some.  Maybe the line is a little more firm, too.

Brake line next.

Eville Rich

Offline Thrasherg

Re: extended clutch line install - easy Qs
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 10:27:12 pm »
Glad to see it’s going well, just be sure not to get any brake fluid on your paintwork. Take your time and it should all be good

Gary

Offline Gigitt

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 03:32:26 am »
I have done extended line on both my bikes.

Both times my Goodridge lines did not come with any rubber protection sleeves... so I made my own.

I used 6mm PVC Tubing, I cut 4-5in lengths then slice the tubing open with a diagonal cut - this makes a spiral or curl cut tube.
I then wrap this pvc spiral around the lines where I think it will wear. the spiral clings to the lines and does not need any glue or zip ties to keep it in place. The PVC is soft so it will not harm the lines and the edges will not cut or damage any electrical wrap either.

You can see how I used them on my S10 on the brake lines in the pic

Offline Eville Rich

Re: extended clutch line install
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 01:58:59 pm »
Thanks for the pointer to the PVC wrap.  I may go that route to complete the OCD.

Brake side install went pretty smoothly.  Burp bleed was fine and a test ride showed it all working as expected and maybe better than before.

A few tips for others contemplating this job:
1) A 10mm flare wrench is essential. I never work on hydraulic fittings (cars only up to this point) without one. 
2) A 17mm crescent wrench will be useful for the installation - the RideOnAdv lines have a 17mm nut. This allows for leverage to tighten things down.
3) An 8mm socket will help with removing the wire/hose retainers from the frame. You will want to do this to have flexibility in the tight and hard-to-see work space.
4) A 16mm crescent wrench was useful for holding the metal block that is a part of the brake hose. The metal block holds the hose to the frame, though a 8mm socket will remove it from the frame, easing access.
5) The hardest part is connecting the hard line to the new hose. This requires patience to get the right angle for the threads to catch.  No different than any other hydraulic connection and not as bad as some.  I had experience installing a clutch master cylinder on an old BMW, through the firewall. That job resulted in new curse words and combination that shocked even my sensibilities.  The S10 job resulted in a few minor instances of the common cursing we're all accustomed to.
6) Take your time and don't rush it. I was glad I deliberately broke the job into smaller pieces and without a deadline. It went fast, particularly the brake side, but the right mental state helped.
7) Have a good supply of clean rags to catch or wipe drips. Brake fluid is very corrosive to paint. And don't forget to have some fresh DOT4 fluid on-hand.

Onward to bar risers and PVC wrap!

Eville Rich
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 10:39:45 pm by Eville Rich »

Offline steve68steve

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 05:18:09 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to write this up.

Some person in the future who finds this post while searching prior to doing this job will be saved a bunch of time and hassle thanks to your time and effort.

Offline Gigitt

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 08:17:08 pm »
When working with brake fluid. Paint protection is a must as stated above.
Have old tags around and under the lines to catch the drops of fluid that will come out of the line when you undo them

BUT ALSO. have a bottle of water ready. If you do spill brake fluid you can neutralise it with water.

Offline ace50

• 2012 S10
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 07:53:09 am »
Man, I should consider making some more of these to sell as they are easy peasy to install, and possibly cheaper too!

Looks like Gigitt tore the front of his bike off to put lines on!  ???

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 07:56:03 am by ace50 »
Marriage:
My wife said it was like a deck of cards.
At the start, all you need is 2 hearts and a diamond....
Later, you want a club and a spade.

Offline Thrasherg

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 08:59:44 am »
that does look like a tidy solution, I personally prefer to replace the entire line from the master cylinder down to the first splitter, I really don't like the idea of bolting on an extension. Just me!! How do you get the internal passage from one end of the extension to the other for the hydraulic fluid to pass  down? I don't see any drilling holes? Just curious

Gary

Offline AdvToorer

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 09:07:10 am »
I've completed the clutch side and also used PVC tubing to wrap the line where it mounts in the P-clip, as the new line is thinner than the OEM.  I took the old black tubing off the OEM line and cut it in spiral fashion, using it as additional abrasion protection.

On the brake line, the mounting block is attached to the old line, my question is how to secure the line on the brake side?  My plan is to source a P-clip liked used on the clutch side but haven't started search yet.

Offline ace50

• 2012 S10
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 10:54:39 am »
that does look like a tidy solution, I personally prefer to replace the entire line from the master cylinder down to the first splitter, I really don't like the idea of bolting on an extension. Just me!!
 How do you get the internal passage from one end of the extension to the other for the hydraulic fluid to pass  down? I don't see any drilling holes? Just curious

Drilled down the middle and welded inside and out.
Steel lines are always stronger than a rubber hose.
Marriage:
My wife said it was like a deck of cards.
At the start, all you need is 2 hearts and a diamond....
Later, you want a club and a spade.

Offline Thrasherg

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 12:51:21 pm »
That's what I figured, but I couldn't see any signs of a plug where you welded up the hole!! Look very well made..

Gary

Offline ~TABASCO~

• RIDE ON ADV is what I do !
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 04:44:40 pm »
If anyone has any questions always feel free to contact me.  I would be happy to help.  Thank you
Lowering Links & Rising Links shipping now !

Shipping HEIDENAU'S... In stock

www.rideonadv.com
2012 Super Tenere - 1"bar riser - motoX grips - ECUnleashed flash - Barnett clutch pressure plate - UNI filter - Air box mod - Akrapovic custom muffler - Arrow headers - PCV&AT - Ohlins suspension front & rear - Trailtech Voyager - Steel braded lines on everything - Ride On skid plate - Carbon fork guards - rear disc gard - rear res guard - WC turn signals - WC headlight guard - ADV tires - WC/ride on graphics - sync TB - Baja Squadrons & S2 - custom dash LED's - Custom light harness - Ride On custom light switch - Keyless gas cap

Offline Gigitt

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 06:42:00 pm »
Quote from: ace50 link=topic=23380.msg327

Looks like Gigitt tore the front of his bike off to put lines on!  ???

No.  Picture is for PVC wrap protection reference only was from my spotlight install when routing my wiring.

When I extended my lines I did not have to remove the headlight.