Author Topic: Toy Hauler  (Read 1251 times)

Offline AVGeek

• Global Moderator
Re: Toy Hauler
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2017, 07:03:36 am »
Isn't every RV in the world tan/beige/brown??? (except that wild Red thing you found)

You can sometimes get them in other colors:

Full ad here: https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/rvs/d/16ft-toy-hauler-fun-runner/6385726244.html

DISCLAIMER: this isn't my trailer, just one I saw when looking at CL.
IBA# 54462

Offline snakebitten

« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2017, 01:41:20 pm »
Yea, there really ARE many many many different kinds of buildings-on-wheels. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff you come across as you camp\glamp across this amazing continent.

But I was messing with BigBob.

Actually, the 17RP does come in 2 different models, but it isn't color choices, but instead is material choices.

Here it is in aluminum siding.......

http://www.aokrvs.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=3227791&p=1&vc=toy%20hauler&s=Date%20Added&d=A&t=new&fr=xNewInventory

Here it is in fiberglass. (looks more modern, but in fact is misleading since 90% of the time fiberglass\gel coat siding means the RV uses an aluminum frame instead of wood. Lighter and considered longer lasting. But the 17RP is the cheaper wood framed RV regardless of the siding)

http://www.aokrvs.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=3282004&p=1&vc=toy%20hauler&s=Date%20Added&d=A&t=new&fr=xNewInventory

I chose the gel coat model simply because Forest River also appears to better equip the 17RP that they ship with the upgraded "look". In fact, if it is the 17RP "limited", it already has every option available. Like stainless appliances and aluminum wheels, 75 mph tires, ............
XT1200Z  TBDBITW  (The Biggest Dirt Bike in The World)
KTM 500 EXC              Dirtiest Street Bike In The World
KTM 950 SE           (The Substitute for the XT700Z that's coming)

Offline AVGeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2017, 07:58:21 am »
Yea, there really ARE many many many different kinds of buildings-on-wheels. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff you come across as you camp\glamp across this amazing continent.

But I was messing with BigBob.

Actually, the 17RP does come in 2 different models, but it isn't color choices, but instead is material choices.

Here it is in aluminum siding.......

http://www.aokrvs.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=3227791&p=1&vc=toy%20hauler&s=Date%20Added&d=A&t=new&fr=xNewInventory

Here it is in fiberglass. (looks more modern, but in fact is misleading since 90% of the time fiberglass\gel coat siding means the RV uses an aluminum frame instead of wood. Lighter and considered longer lasting. But the 17RP is the cheaper wood framed RV regardless of the siding)

http://www.aokrvs.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=3282004&p=1&vc=toy%20hauler&s=Date%20Added&d=A&t=new&fr=xNewInventory

I chose the gel coat model simply because Forest River also appears to better equip the 17RP that they ship with the upgraded "look". In fact, if it is the 17RP "limited", it already has every option available. Like stainless appliances and aluminum wheels, 75 mph tires, ............

I've had both aluminum siding and gel coat, and I hope the gel coat has gotten better (mine was a 2003 motorhome) as it seems to deteriorate faster in the sun, and seems harder to maintain.
IBA# 54462

Offline Defekticon

« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2017, 09:06:22 am »
I've had both aluminum siding and gel coat, and I hope the gel coat has gotten better (mine was a 2003 motorhome) as it seems to deteriorate faster in the sun, and seems harder to maintain.

It depends. This new rig I have from Cherokee is not the standard fiberglass gelcoat glued to luan plywood. It's some sort of PVC plastic material. My older 2008 Forest River Surveyor had problems with some deterioration of the gel coat. This stuff doesn't seem to have that problem, the trade off is that it looks "wavy" when you catch it in the sunlight the right way. The only exception is the rear door and the cargo hatch doors. Which will need to be replaced at some point, as they don't seem particularly sturdy.

I keep the rig in covered storage (pole barn with bird netting) it's not cheap, but it keeps the tires from dry rotting, keeps the roof new, keeps the vinyl stickers from peeling (Huge effect on resale value for some reason) and I won't have to wash it when it comes out in the spring. Once we move to FL in June I plan on building my own pole barn or metal structure to keep it out of the FL sun.
'14 Blue S10
'17 KTM 500EXC-F

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2017, 10:27:59 am »
If you are building an actual POLE barn, something to consider are some cross beams to hang a trailer from. Realizing that neither of my trailers weighs more than 400#, I have them suspended beneath my elevated deck. Totally eliminated any rubber rot, flat spot tires, weather effects, or insect issues. I lift the trailer tongue and each rear corner. (3 points)
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline Sierra1

« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2017, 05:58:51 pm »
Being "po' white trash", I have to use a Harbor Freight hydraulic jack, and couple of Harbor Freight jack stands.  Crude, but effective.  (I do like your system better though)
In the stable: Me-'17 TENERE ES & '86 FJ 1200; Wife-'01 TW 200; Son 1-'16 R6; Son 2-'14 FJR ES
Out to Pasture: '77 XS 360; '81 SECA 550; '00 KZ 1000P; '04 BMW 1150 RT-P; '11 ST1300PA; '11 KLR