Author Topic: Finally. It's coming. XT700  (Read 24279 times)

Offline EricV

• Rumbux Importer - Riding, farkling, riding...
Re: Finally. It's coming. XT700
« Reply #135 on: November 12, 2017, 09:49:58 am »
For all the bold talk of off road adventure riding, why is the polished prototype shown with a street only front fender?  The bike in the video has a high fender, but not the more production looking one in the pics below the vid.  And I don't think those headlights and that tail will survive DOT inspection.  Looks like what most would prefer though!  No bike for short riders.
Matte Black 2015 Super Tenere
Rumbux Adventure Products Importer
Eval Innovations Inc.

Offline mebgardner

« Reply #136 on: November 12, 2017, 11:27:31 pm »
For all the bold talk of off road adventure riding, why is the polished prototype shown with a street only front fender?  The bike in the video has a high fender, but not the more production looking one in the pics below the vid.  And I don't think those headlights and that tail will survive DOT inspection.  Looks like what most would prefer though!  No bike for short riders.

Have you had a close look at the current crop of big ADV machines? Almost all of them come with their front fender an inch from the front tire (OK, really really close, anyway). It's ridiculous!

This is a common complaint on the ADVRider forum regarding the Honda AT (prior years).

Those stupid front fenders are plastic... they stuff up with mud quickly..., and then they break!  The front brake line is especially susceptible to this fender breaking business.

Ridiculous!
2016 ST, Non-ES, Power Commander PCFC, Seat Concepts, Rox 2" Risers w/ OEM lines, Aux: ADVMonster 44W LEDS and Dimmer, HL: NightEye H7 50W LEDs, Eastern Beaver CS3, Givi TN355 crash bars, Skene Designs Photon Blaster LEDs, Knight Design Wide Hunter lowering pegs, Denali SoundBlaster w/ Twisted Throttle horn mount, SW Motech Evo Side Racks, Saddleman X-Jumbo Cruiser Soft Bags, Hepco Becker Rear Rack, Hepco Becker Junior 45 Rear Top Case, MRA X-creen Tour, OEM reg. shield and bracket, OEM side wind deflectors, RideOn Tire additive, 0.55 in. LED eBay Voltmeter, Battery tender. Hit-Air Airbag Vest, Motoport 3/4 Length 3 Layer Jacket with Quad Armor Upgrade, EVS G6 Mesh Armor (summer), Revit 2 Layer Mesh Pants, A* Corozal Boots, Shoei Hornet X2, Garmin Zumo 550 GPS.

Offline Don T

• Bike-addict
« Reply #137 on: November 13, 2017, 05:11:59 am »

The bike in the (latest) video and pictures is the same. Don't confuse the T7 concept with the Ténéré 700 World Raid prototype - the later looks pretty much productions ready.
Personally I'm fine with a low fender, as long as it don't sit too close to the tire.
Life is an adventure!
XT1200Z '15

Offline Dogdaze

« Reply #138 on: November 13, 2017, 05:17:20 am »
I know that you can buy a fender 'riser kit' for the Honda AT, that will raise the front fender about 2", perhaps there will be that option for the T7?
As I get older, I am no longer surprised at what I know, I'm surprised at how much I don't know.

Offline greg the pole

• There are no stupid questions, only stupid people
« Reply #139 on: November 13, 2017, 08:57:53 am »
I know that you can buy a fender 'riser kit' for the Honda AT, that will raise the front fender about 2", perhaps there will be that option for the T7?
Easy fix.  Several aftermarket co's have the fix.  When and if the T7 shows it will have it as well.
I'm going to do a small fender rise on the AT.  Not going with the off road version and a high fender.  The amount of shit that comes off the wheel at speed will have you covered in shit in no time flat.
It's hard to soar like an eagle, when you're surrounded by turkeys

Bikes current:
2017 Honda AT slushie
2014 KTM 300 XC Smoker.  Ring a ding ding
...ya owned a few ...2012 XT1200, FJ09, FZ07, FZ09, FZ01 1st Gen, ST1300, KLR's, DR650's, DR400, DL1000, TLS, VFR,CBR..

Offline EricV

• Rumbux Importer - Riding, farkling, riding...
« Reply #140 on: November 13, 2017, 09:51:13 am »
One thing about the T7, with it's single disk front end, at least you won't have to worry about a cross over brake line like on the Super Ten and BMWs.  On my '12 S10 I raised the fender an inch or so and fabricated a two brake line kit to ditch the cross over.  After breaking the fender at full compression due to the aux light under my headlight, I eventually did a high fender. 
Matte Black 2015 Super Tenere
Rumbux Adventure Products Importer
Eval Innovations Inc.

Offline mebgardner

« Reply #141 on: November 13, 2017, 09:53:11 am »
The amount of shit that comes off the wheel at speed will have you covered in shit in no time flat.

+1.  But, I thought that was the fender's job, was to keep the stuff off you, and the (whatever is down in front: brakes, radiator, oil cooler, etc).

If it does not do that, then it's not working successfully. It should just work without adding more money to fix it.

I know, I know, I throw lots of aftermarket coin at my cycles too. Does not mean I like doing it.

One of the things that *really* put me off the Honda AT: $120 for heat deflecting louvers. Yup, that cycle also throws a bunch of heat at rider's legs (tho, they do not like to admit this for some reason). The fix? $120 at Honda's aftermarket kit. Boy, that really set me off! All that money for what was probably $10.00 of plastic parts that *should* have come standard!

Yeah, easy fix. Sure, put those skinny plastic fenders up higher, I'm sure they'll work better up there. <sarcasm>
2016 ST, Non-ES, Power Commander PCFC, Seat Concepts, Rox 2" Risers w/ OEM lines, Aux: ADVMonster 44W LEDS and Dimmer, HL: NightEye H7 50W LEDs, Eastern Beaver CS3, Givi TN355 crash bars, Skene Designs Photon Blaster LEDs, Knight Design Wide Hunter lowering pegs, Denali SoundBlaster w/ Twisted Throttle horn mount, SW Motech Evo Side Racks, Saddleman X-Jumbo Cruiser Soft Bags, Hepco Becker Rear Rack, Hepco Becker Junior 45 Rear Top Case, MRA X-creen Tour, OEM reg. shield and bracket, OEM side wind deflectors, RideOn Tire additive, 0.55 in. LED eBay Voltmeter, Battery tender. Hit-Air Airbag Vest, Motoport 3/4 Length 3 Layer Jacket with Quad Armor Upgrade, EVS G6 Mesh Armor (summer), Revit 2 Layer Mesh Pants, A* Corozal Boots, Shoei Hornet X2, Garmin Zumo 550 GPS.

Offline Don T

• Bike-addict
« Reply #142 on: November 13, 2017, 04:34:25 pm »
One thing about the T7, with it's single disk front end, at least you won't have to worry about a cross over brake line like on the Super Ten and BMWs.  On my '12 S10 I raised the fender an inch or so and fabricated a two brake line kit to ditch the cross over.  After breaking the fender at full compression due to the aux light under my headlight, I eventually did a high fender.

The T7 concept only had one brake disc - the Tènéré 700 World Raid prototype has two, so that is more than likely what we can expect on the production model.
Life is an adventure!
XT1200Z '15

Offline greg the pole

• There are no stupid questions, only stupid people
« Reply #143 on: November 27, 2017, 11:03:28 am »
+1.  But, I thought that was the fender's job, was to keep the stuff off you, and the (whatever is down in front: brakes, radiator, oil cooler, etc).

If it does not do that, then it's not working successfully. It should just work without adding more money to fix it.

I know, I know, I throw lots of aftermarket coin at my cycles too. Does not mean I like doing it.

One of the things that *really* put me off the Honda AT: $120 for heat deflecting louvers. Yup, that cycle also throws a bunch of heat at rider's legs (tho, they do not like to admit this for some reason). The fix? $120 at Honda's aftermarket kit. Boy, that really set me off! All that money for what was probably $10.00 of plastic parts that *should* have come standard!

Yeah, easy fix. Sure, put those skinny plastic fenders up higher, I'm sure they'll work better up there. <sarcasm>
An off road fender on a road bike is not the anwser.  I've converted a dl650 to adv/heavy duty use and put a high fender on it.  After riding a muddy road at speed, my entire body was covered in shit, and the headlight was caked. 
For the AT, I may do a small 1" fender rise (brackets).
When you read through the honda accessory page, everything cost an arm and leg.  The cigarette lighter that should come as standard is something like $150.  Heated grips are over $300.  Highway robbery.
I have a slew of stuff coming from fleabay at fraction of the cost (usb/voltage indicator, side stand foot extension, LED lights, holders, and CNC machined switch pod)

Nothing will official honda bolt on.
It's hard to soar like an eagle, when you're surrounded by turkeys

Bikes current:
2017 Honda AT slushie
2014 KTM 300 XC Smoker.  Ring a ding ding
...ya owned a few ...2012 XT1200, FJ09, FZ07, FZ09, FZ01 1st Gen, ST1300, KLR's, DR650's, DR400, DL1000, TLS, VFR,CBR..

Offline Ramseybella

« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2017, 12:36:26 pm »
They didn't release the XT660 in the states.. This may sell better than the Super Tenere..
How many tens have you seen in the showroom floor lately?
I like it, damn sure looks like it would be easy to work on than the Super Tenere... https://youtu.be/Lvb_xCiEEOo?t=365
That exhaust hanger looks like a bad design when you lay it down. ::)
Rest of the video nobody is looking at the V-Strom and the Triumph 1200 still looks like a fat pig.

This is new to me!! https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/others/2018-ajp-motorcycles-pr7-ar177052.html
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 12:52:32 pm by Ramseybella »
"Technology applied for the sake of those who wish to escape it"

Offline mebgardner

« Reply #145 on: November 27, 2017, 02:16:48 pm »
This is new to me!! https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/others/2018-ajp-motorcycles-pr7-ar177052.html

That PR7? Not available anytime soon (2019 maybe), not coming to the states, they do not say why it's not coming.

Also, all those cycles from AJP. They're essentially race ready cycles. Read: high maintenance intervals. You think "orange" is short interval?  Have another look in that cranny nook for this brand.

Offline Squibb

« Reply #146 on: November 28, 2017, 06:16:30 am »
We had a good look around the T7 prototype last week, at the UK Bike Show.

It looks great, as a Dakar style off more than on road machine, but I think we are hoping for too much if we expect this utility style to be translated into a road going XT7 late 2018. IMHO the early photoshop images seem more likely, if only to keep the pricepoint sensible. Yamaha will be aware of the need now to compete with the new BMW F750/850GS & KTM790
2014 XT1200ZE/ES
2014 FJR1300AE
2006 H-D FLHTCUI
2012 BMW F650GS

Offline Don T

• Bike-addict
« Reply #147 on: November 28, 2017, 10:41:33 am »
We had a good look around the T7 prototype last week, at the UK Bike Show.

It looks great, as a Dakar style off more than on road machine, but I think we are hoping for too much if we expect this utility style to be translated into a road going XT7 late 2018. IMHO the early photoshop images seem more likely, if only to keep the pricepoint sensible. Yamaha will be aware of the need now to compete with the new BMW F750/850GS & KTM790

I believe that the production model will be close to the prototype.
One of the reasons for that is, that I think Yamaha will try to fill a vacuum in the adventure bike market instead of competing with bikes like the new BMW F850GS (which have become even more street orientated). Time will tell if I'm right..?
KTM 790 could be another addition to this new "light weight" multi cylinder off road orientated adventure class - again time will tell...
Life is an adventure!
XT1200Z '15

Offline Sierra1

« Reply #148 on: November 28, 2017, 03:07:04 pm »
IMHO.  To many variables.  For the price of an "equipped" Beemer 850GS, you can get a Tenere.  BUT, if size/weight is an issue, the Beemer looks good.  The T7 does not look like an apples to apples comparison with the 750/850GS.  I'm glad I have the bike I want, because the available crop of similar bikes is enormous.  ::001::
In the stable: Me-'17 TENERE ES & '86 FJ 1200; Wife-'01 TW 200; Son 1-'16 R6; Son 2-'14 FJR ES
Out to Pasture: '77 XS 360; '81 SECA 550; '00 KZ 1000P; '04 BMW 1150 RT-P; '11 ST1300PA; '11 KLR

Offline dave6253

« Reply #149 on: April 07, 2018, 11:16:54 pm »
That PR7? Not available anytime soon (2019 maybe), not coming to the states, they do not say why it's not coming.

Also, all those cycles from AJP. They're essentially race ready cycles. Read: high maintenance intervals. You think "orange" is short interval?  Have another look in that cranny nook for this brand.

As I understand it, the PR7s are being delivered in the states now - including Arizona. The PR7 uses the same thumper motor as the Husky 610 and current SWMs. Not high-maintenance or race spec.