Author Topic: Rear Wheel Removal and Replacement Pictorial  (Read 44478 times)

Offline EricV

• Rumbux Importer - Riding, farkling, riding...
Re: Rear Wheel Removal and Replacement Pictorial
« Reply #105 on: December 25, 2016, 04:41:41 pm »
Anyone know the inside diameter of the wheels on my 2013?
Not sure what you're asking for?  Axle diameter?  Inside diameter of the rim itself?  Diameter of the wheel at the bottom of the groove inside the rim?

Can you clarify and tell us why you need the info.  Knowing why may lead to other helpful responses.
Matte Black 2015 Super Tenere
Rumbux Adventure Products Importer
Eval Innovations Inc.

Offline cmoresky

• 2015non-ES get out, cmoresky
    • cmoresky
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2017, 10:09:45 am »
Used this last night. Thanks great write up.  ;D 
I need to double check my work and the only step I can't be sure of is sensor hub alignment.

When assembling, the speed sensor hub has a notch to align with caliber housing. Nice picture, but i failed to note proper alignment before removal.
The picture shows a detail but I am not sure I aligned mine correctly. Mine does not allow hub turning so i am assuming its on correctly and the sensor wire is not stressed.

Does anyone have a picture of the bottom side of this assembled sensor hub so i can see if my notch and brake matches your picture?
I'd post my own but its 100 miles away at the moment.

Jeff in MA
on 2015 ST
Jeff / Cmoresky.com
in MA
on 15' ST
Tourofhonor.com, Irong Butt Association

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2017, 01:44:26 pm »
Look for the finger to sit in the notch.

Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline cmoresky

• cmoresky
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2017, 01:56:41 pm »
@Checkswrecks, Thanks.

I assembled it late and followed along.  You describe how mine appears, one tab covered (in a notch) the other leg can be seen/felt and it prevents the rotation of the hub.  OK, just making sure, the picture was of it disassembled so I wasn't sure.
 ::008::

Jeff
Jeff / Cmoresky.com
in MA
on 15' ST

Offline whisperquiet

« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2017, 06:00:30 pm »
The area I circled will be at the 600 position when the plate is correctly located.  It is a drain when seen from the inside of the plate.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 06:02:15 pm by whisperquiet »

Offline cmoresky

• cmoresky
« Reply #110 on: April 21, 2017, 07:54:56 pm »
 ::012:: BEST ANSWER whisperquiet !!!!   
Many thanks!
Jeff / Cmoresky.com
in MA
on 15' ST

Offline Stridey

« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2017, 08:52:03 am »
Missing spacer.
I have contacted the dealer and of course its in back order back ordered item.
I have access to machining and can whip one up if someone could let me know the thickness required.
I'm planning on leave on a trip Sat so any info would be appreciated.
thanks in advance
edo
Using the above post as a reference I have just completed my third rear wheel off and on for tyre replacement and this time without following this excellent pictorial.  Even when you have this brake calliper side washer it took me about 30 mins of frustration trying to get the axle back in when I suddenly realised I had the wrong washer and was trying to get the axle spindle through the nut side washer! Easy mistake to make and just picked up the wrong one! 😧 other than that an  easy job other than the Cush drive rubbers coming out on removal. I must try the duck tape solution next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EricV

« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2017, 09:43:21 am »
Using the above post as a reference I have just completed my third rear wheel off and on for tyre replacement and this time without following this excellent pictorial.  Even when you have this brake caliper side washer it took me about 30 mins of frustration trying to get the axle back in when I suddenly realized I had the wrong washer and was trying to get the axle spindle through the nut side washer! Easy mistake to make and just picked up the wrong one! 😧 other than that an  easy job other than the Cush drive rubbers coming out on removal. I must try the duck tape solution next time.

Here is a tip for next time.  When you remove the axle nut and washer, place it on the floor on that same side of the bike.  When you pull the axle out, place that on the floor next to the bike with that side washer on the same side.  This way when you go to re-install the wheel, the washers for each side are on the sides they belong and you don't have to think about which is which.  But you know now that the thin one goes on the nut side.  ;)
Eval Innovations Inc.

Offline Stridey

« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2017, 01:22:54 pm »
Here is a tip for next time.  When you remove the axle nut and washer, place it on the floor on that same side of the bike.  When you pull the axle out, place that on the floor next to the bike with that side washer on the same side.  This way when you go to re-install the wheel, the washers for each side are on the sides they belong and you don't have to think about which is which.  But you know now that the thin one goes on the nut side.  ;)
Thanks.  I did that but somehow the washers got transposed.  It's just one of those things that seems to happen to me. 😜

Offline VRODE

• Easy Does It
« Reply #114 on: June 09, 2017, 04:32:36 pm »
Yeah, I always take out axles and lay them out with the nuts/washers. I still screwed up and put the right side washer against the hub instead of the caliper housing. First change so I'll remember next time (I hope).
2016 ES "Godzilla"

Offline mebgardner

« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2017, 11:19:38 am »
I see threads of folks having problems with seized speed sensor fasteners. Any wisdom for those folks, in this thread?
2016 ST, Non-ES, Power Commander PCFC, Seat Concepts, Rox 2" Risers w/ OEM lines, Aux: ADVMonster 44W LEDS and Dimmer, HL: NightEye H7 50W LEDs, Eastern Beaver CS3, Givi TN355 crash bars, Skene Designs Photon Blaster LEDs, Knight Design Wide Hunter lowering pegs, Denali SoundBlaster w/ Twisted Throttle horn mount, SW Motech Evo Side Racks, Saddleman X-Jumbo Cruiser Soft Bags, Hepco Becker Rear Rack, Hepco Becker Junior 45 Rear Top Case, MRA X-creen Tour, OEM reg. shield and bracket, OEM side wind deflectors, RideOn Tire additive, 0.55 in. LED eBay Voltmeter, Battery tender. Hit-Air Airbag Vest, Motoport 3/4 Length 3 Layer Jacket with Quad Armor Upgrade, EVS G6 Mesh Armor (summer), Revit 2 Layer Mesh Pants, A* Corozal Boots, Shoei Hornet X2.

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: June 18, 2017, 01:47:32 pm »
I see threads of folks having problems with seized speed sensor fasteners. Any wisdom for those folks, in this thread?

I'd probably NOT use heat, due to potential damage to the wire insulation.

Use some penetrant and let it sit over night. Use a bit that is in new condition to not slip. Initially give a little torque toward tightening the screw to see if you can hear it break loose.
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline EricV

« Reply #117 on: June 18, 2017, 02:14:45 pm »
Mostly its riders with salt/salt air environments that have had this issue.

Over the last 270k miles of ABS Yamaha bikes, living in Oregon and Utah, riding all across the US and Canada, in all weather,  I have never had this problem.

If you strip the head, drill and ez out will do fine.
Eval Innovations Inc.

Offline Stridey

« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2017, 02:59:16 am »
I had this issue too! Loads of salt put down in Uk.
With a pair of pliers I managed to gently get some movement then with a small screwdriver I increased the gap to enable me to pull it out!
How do we prevent this happening next winter? Grease or similar?

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
« Reply #119 on: June 19, 2017, 08:40:16 am »
I had this issue too! Loads of salt put down in Uk.
With a pair of pliers I managed to gently get some movement then with a small screwdriver I increased the gap to enable me to pull it out!
How do we prevent this happening next winter? Grease or similar?

The really nice part about this stuff is that it can only help, not hurt. The downside is that it washes off pretty easy and needs to be re-applied now & then.

Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R