Author Topic: Hard way home  (Read 864 times)

Offline Donk

Hard way home
« on: June 17, 2017, 09:11:47 pm »
Well I'm headed home but I took the hard way.  Chopped the '14 S10ES to get a BMW RS and that was a huge mistake.  Got rid of that and my friend who owns the Ducati shop set me up with a '16 Multistrada.  Bike was ok but the deal was too good so I was sticking it out.  Tuesday a guy blew a stop sign and totaled the Ducati out from under me.  Damn near totaled me too but for the grace of G-d.  My next bike list is down to 2; a '17 S10ES or a '16 S10ES!  Have to tell you guys I've never been so excited to get back to a bike!  Hope to own one in the next few weeks.  Been lurking around here from time to time while I was "away" but plan on being here more often going forward.  Man it feels good to be headed back to a S10 

Offline ADKsuper10

Re: Hard way home
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 09:49:45 pm »
Cool man glad you're jumping back in. Just out of curiousity - why was the GS a bad idea? I'd like to hear your thoughts on it - I almost bought one before I got my S10.

Offline Donk

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 09:28:46 am »
It was an RS not GS same motor different style bike.  I've said the same thing in other threads but one last time.  The gauges were awful, hard to read at best and impossible to see in the sun. I had transmission issues from day one, the bike wouldn't shift properly and BMW's attitude about the whole thing both at the dealer level and corporate level was terrible.

Offline VRODE

• Easy Does It
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 09:49:30 am »
Welcome back!  ::012::
2016 ES "Godzilla"

Offline ace50

• 2012 S10
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 10:49:08 am »
Started on cruisers and then drifted away from them.
I recently though bought a Honda Magna to play with.
Not your typical cruiser as it has a V4 engine derived from sport bikes.
Way more fun than a V-twin!
Marriage:
My wife said it was like a deck of cards.
At the start, all you need is 2 hearts and a diamond....
Later, you want a club and a spade.

Offline mebgardner

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 11:12:57 am »
Just glad you're OK, Donk.
2016 ST, Non-ES, Power Commander PCFC, Seat Concepts, Rox 2" Risers w/ OEM lines, Aux: ADVMonster 44W LEDS and Dimmer, HL: NightEye H7 50W LEDs, Eastern Beaver CS3, Givi TN355 crash bars, Skene Designs Photon Blaster LEDs, Knight Design Wide Hunter lowering pegs, Denali SoundBlaster w/ Twisted Throttle horn mount, SW Motech Evo Side Racks, Saddleman X-Jumbo Cruiser Soft Bags, Hepco Becker Rear Rack, Hepco Becker Junior 45 Rear Top Case, MRA X-creen Tour, OEM reg. shield and bracket, OEM side wind deflectors, RideOn Tire additive, 0.55 in. LED eBay Voltmeter, Battery tender. Hit-Air Airbag Vest, Motoport 3/4 Length 3 Layer Jacket with Quad Armor Upgrade, EVS G6 Mesh Armor (summer), Revit 2 Layer Mesh Pants, A* Corozal Boots, Shoei Hornet X2.

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 12:27:03 pm »
Just glad you're OK, Donk.
???
What he said.

And welcome back!
 ::018::
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline snakebitten

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 01:47:04 pm »
Welcome home prodigal. ;)
XT1200Z  TBDBITW  (The Biggest Dirt Bike in The World)
KTM 500 EXC              Dirtiest Street Bike In The World
KTM 950 SE           (The Substitute for the XT700Z that's coming)

Offline Jeff M

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 05:43:53 pm »
Yes welcome back Donk , If you want to hook up for a ride let me know . I sure all the other S-FlA riders will be glad to see you back !!! Be SAFE and see ya some weekend!!!

Offline Donk

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 07:38:43 am »
Thanks for the kind words guys.  Not going to be riding for a few weeks until the fuzziness clears from my head.  Checkswrecks really could use your expertise.  I'm sure this qualifies because I was "flying" after impact.  So what do you say to a witness that tells you the guy on the motorcycle was killed in the accident?  You should see their faces when I tell them I was the guy!  Got to admit I know I was really lucky but starting to get to me as this has happened a couple of times now.

So I have found a '16 ES for $13,090 and a '17 ES for $14,650.  Both new and prices include all fees but not tax and title.  Those numbers sound about right?

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 08:31:33 am »
Thanks for the kind words guys.  Not going to be riding for a few weeks until the fuzziness clears from my head.  Checkswrecks really could use your expertise.  I'm sure this qualifies because I was "flying" after impact.  So what do you say to a witness that tells you the guy on the motorcycle was killed in the accident?  You should see their faces when I tell them I was the guy!  Got to admit I know I was really lucky but starting to get to me as this has happened a couple of times now.

So I have found a '16 ES for $13,090 and a '17 ES for $14,650.  Both new and prices include all fees but not tax and title.  Those numbers sound about right?

LOL - Witnesses can be amazingly unreliable or accurate and there's just not much between those extremes. Stuff like:
"The pilot was waving for people to get out of the way of where he was going to crash."
"The fish was THIS big."
And my all-time favorite: "He was the best pilot I ever knew." (So how many pilots have you known and what's that got to do with it?)
 ;)

Pointing out the obvious, it'd be totally understandable if you think you need a time out from riding for a bit. As you know, nobody else knows what makes you feel right or can make that call.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 08:34:06 am by Checkswrecks »
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline Sierra1

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 09:54:12 am »

I personally would go with the '17, especially if it was the Cobalt Blue.  Both are below MSRP.  And, if you decide to trade it in, you should get a better resale.  I had a buddy that had ridden for over 30 years w/o incident.  He had two bad crashes in a year and decided, with much pressure from his wife, to take a break from riding for a while.  Good luck with the recovery.
In the stable: Me-'17 TENERE ES & '86 FJ 1200; Wife-'01 TW 200; Son 1-'16 R6; Son 2-'14 FJR ES
Out to Pasture: '77 XS 360; '81 SECA 550; '00 KZ 1000P; '04 BMW 1150 RT-P; '11 ST1300PA; '11 KLR

Offline snakebitten

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 03:30:34 pm »
Donk,

I hesitated to post what I'm about to say simply because it might be misunderstood and come across as a plea for sympathy or understanding. All I can say is if you knew me, you would know it isn't.
Instead, it IS a plea from me, to you, to "take your time".

As many guys know around here I lost Brenda, my wife of 33 years, in a motorcycle accident on Easter Sunday. (3 Easters ago now)
We were on rural roads at 30mph wearing ATGATT. I will never know what caused her to veer off the road, nor how she could possibly have sustained such mortal wounds.

But here are the "phases" that I now, retro-perceptively, can see I passed through to get to where "riding" is again an important and FUN part of my life.

1. Shock\Guilt. As you can imagine, it was beyond describable.

I won't go into detail on this phase because, in your case, it may not apply. However, I wouldn't be surprised if it did in some small degree. After all, regardless of who is at fault, if you were not a motorcycle rider, your family wouldn't have narrowly escaped losing you.

2. Am I done riding, or do I get back on the horse?

I left my Tenere in the garage of a house that was close to the scene of the accident. I didn't know the folks and didn't have their information. I had NO desire to go fetch my bike. And I never laid eyes on Brenda's bike again. I think it was about three months before I inquired where my Tenere was. The gentleman graciously had left me alone the entire time. (He must have really wondered if I would ever come get that bike out of his garage) 
I remember riding it home from his house as an amazingly strange experience. I was emotionally intimidated for the FIRST time in over 50 years of riding.

I parked it and didn't get on any of my motorcycles for a few more weeks.

3. I gotta find out one way or another if riding is still part of my lifestyle. (I now know I was being impatient)

The Arkansas rally of 2014 was coming up and it served as a catalyst for me to find out one way or another.
What I did find out was the comradery of being a motorcycle rider was still very valuable to me. The guys I had gotten to know in the Tenere world were so warm and welcoming. It was a salve I needed more than any of them could possibly have understood. However, the actually riding itself was just missing something fundamental. The passion just wasn't there. I was a fish out of water on the bike. Un-bonded. I got back home and parked it again.

In an effort to be 100% honest with myself I admitted that regardless of what the future held, I just didn't love riding as much as I had all my life.
I even tried various methods of enticing myself. Everyone here got glimpses of my challenge to Jaxon to build me the Tenere I couldn't possibly be "meh" about. lol

After a few months it was ready and I headed to Romney for the first time. Similar result to Arkansas. A much needed and wonderful experience from a social point of view, but the riding just wasn't the drug-fix I had always been addicted to.

Returned home once again and walked away from the barn full of bikes. Maybe I might be done. It had taken a couple of years to get to that gut-honest clarity.

4. Normalcy. Or at least a new normalcy.

It's been a bit over 3 years now. Finally I wake up some mornings and I got that "feeling". I gotta ride. I can LOVE to ride again! And ironically, the desire was rekindled while riding the most basic uninspiring kind of bike. (The SCR950)
(I don't seriously believe the brand\model was that important of a factor. But it is kinda funny. The SCR is my friend now)

What's my point?  Donk, don't force it. ;)

Let it come to you.
I could be wrong but I wouldn't be surprised a bit if that "fuzziness" isn't a well placed obstacle for you to patiently accommodate.

In summary, take your time.  Since you ARE still with us, for which I'm grateful, time is something you have plenty of.

Cheers

XT1200Z  TBDBITW  (The Biggest Dirt Bike in The World)
KTM 500 EXC              Dirtiest Street Bike In The World
KTM 950 SE           (The Substitute for the XT700Z that's coming)

Offline VRODE

• Easy Does It
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 03:46:33 pm »

Sound like good numbers to me. Same bikes, different colors. Slightly higher value in the '17 just because of the date of manufacture. Good luck in all things health wise. Glad you came out in one piece!
2016 ES "Godzilla"

Offline Donk

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 04:21:52 pm »
Thanks again for the continued kind words and support.  I knew there was something I liked about this forum!

Snakebitten, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.  I would write more if I had the words....

I think it is easier to be in the accident than to be witness to the accident.  The reason I'm in no hurry to ride is I'm truly a bit fuzzy from the concussion.  I still get a bit dizzy and get vertigo if I move my head the wrong way.  Been riding over 40 years and this is the first time I've ever had a significant accident.  All things considered I got away pretty easy.  Mentally I'm itching to get back on a bike, just making myself wait until I know it's safe. There is a bike in my garage that I force myself to stay off of every day!  Hopefully I'll still enjoy the ride as much as I used to.  On the other hand my friend that I was meeting has sworn off riding.  I think it was a pretty traumatic incident for him.  We all have to do what feels right for us.  There is no right or wrong answer in these situations.