Author Topic: New Penske 8987 & Traxxion springs with Penske valves  (Read 353 times)

Offline Fpalbrecht

New Penske 8987 & Traxxion springs with Penske valves
« on: June 17, 2017, 01:21:20 pm »
Just got my 2016 non ES back from Trackside Suspension & Engineering(TSE). http://www.tracksidesuspension.com
What a great experience. If you're in Southern Wisconsin/Northern Illinois and want a full service suspension shop, I can recommend TSE.
This was their first Tenere. I drove down and talked with them and after that meeting they recommended the Penske 8987 rear(900#) and Penske  valves with Traxxion springs up front(.975 kg). I'm about 210lbs without gear. I really could tell the stock rear was very under sprung especially when loaded with gear. Max preload and still the geometry of the bike was front high. That's why I wanted the upgrade. What I wasn't expecting was how much improvement I would get unloaded. I'm blown away! The bike is so much faster in turns now. A lot of the little stuff I don't feel anymore. Haven't loaded it up or been off road yet. I'm lucky enough, with this bike, be able to do things the way I want. I have several bikes(tools) and wasn't out to make this a sport bike. But am very impressed with how it handles now in the turns. If anyone is thinking about changing the suspension. I'm 150% satisfied. Before even getting off-road or loaded. I'm planning a camping trip and some off road woods riding in a few weeks and will report back after that.

Offline magic

Re: New Penske 8987 & Traxxion springs with Penske valves
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 01:49:57 pm »
Thanks for report. That's maybe 150 miles away for me, not bad. I have to ask a couple questions. Did you have to leave the bike or did you just take the forks in? Also, how much for shock? and how much for the fork work? Thanks

Offline Fpalbrecht

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 03:33:23 pm »
They gave me the option to do either. I gave them the bike. They called about 48hrs later. For servicing I will take them the parts. It was about $2200 for both. A little less than have for the front a little more for the rear. There are a few options front and rear. That's where having a suspension shop is nice. You ask questions, they ask questions. They are always there to help/service what they do. You might be able to do things cheaper on your own but this time I wanted the full service treatment. I live in Lake Mills if you want to see it in person.

Offline magic

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 08:19:43 pm »
Thanks for the info. It's good to know that we have a shop like this nearby.

Offline blitz11

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 09:53:11 am »
I was in Minneapolis at the time, and Trackside took care of me, too. Penske Shock, Traxxion compression valving, and sonic springs.  Had to go with Racetech rebound valving, but that worked out great.  Transformed the bike.

Online greg the pole

• There are no stupid questions, only stupid people
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 09:45:11 am »
A mechanic friend of mine gave me some wise advice.

Sort out the following in order:

Tires: you have two, and need to be suited to your type of riding.
Suspension: it holds your tires to the road
Power: If you need more. 

Most of my bikes get a rear shock, and some sort of fork rework.  Too often the Japanese manufacturers save on suspension.  The Tenere was ok.  About 60k km ago I put in a Yacugar rear shock (2 way comp, rebound, rem. preload).  Primo quality, same price or better than Ohlins/Penske.  And went with Penske valving and shim stack on the fron (self installed ::010::)  It makes a huge difference.  Naturally springs to my weight.

My 2014 FZ09 had horrible suspension.  Penske shock went in.  Left the front as is.  Sold bike at 3.5k.
My 2015 FZ07 same deal.  Shit suspension.  Yacugar rear (non adjustable) and emulators for the front.  Sold the bike at 5.5k,  and the suspension components at a 60% discount on fleabay.
My 2015 FJ09 came with slightly less horrible suspension.  This one got the full treatment.  Traxxion drop in cartridges (fully adjustable), and Yacugar rear shock (2 way comp, rebound, rem. preload).  Still loving it at about 18k.

I recently test drove a friends 2017 AT 6 spd.  75k of gravel.  The OEM boingers are just ok on the smooth gravel.  Once it got technical or washboardy..the rear couldn't keep  up.  It was disapointing.  At any rate, he screwed around with a spacer, heavier oil in the rear shock, and eventually will order a new rear ohlins ($1100 USD), and will likely get his forks re valved for $700 USD.

The 2017 KTM 1090 has very good OEM suspension.  But it's a KTM ::015::
It's hard to soar like an eagle, when you're surrounded by turkeys

Bikes current:
2012 ST1200 Do it all..with a couple of mods.
2015 FJ09 Comfortable hooligan
2014 KTM 300 XC Smoker.  Ring a ding ding
...ya owned a few ...FZ07, FZ09, FZ01 1st Gen, ST1300, KLR's, DR650's, DR400, DL1000, TLS, VFR,CBR..

Offline ~TABASCO~

• RIDE ON ADV is what I do !
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 10:36:27 am »
Congratulation !   Looks awesome and I'm sure it works awesome for ya !    Make sure your shock pre load is just about 100% set up correctly right now while its new.  And if you would like or need to adjust it in the future you should consider keeping those disc well lubed along with the black collar.  Ive had the "pleasure" of trying to adjust a few Penske shocks on customer bikes. The collar was seized up, it was NOT fun. Just a little water/grit/mud/elements will lock that collar up..   Try and get it set up the very best you can right now!  Fun friendly FYI :)

Enjoy your new 'ride'.
Lowering Links & Rising Links shipping now !

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ride-On-ADV/678244025556248

Shipping HEIDENAU'S... In stock

www.rideonadv.com
2012 Super Tenere - 1"bar riser - motoX grips - ECUnleashed flash - Barnett clutch pressure plate - UNI filter - Air box mod - Akrapovic custom muffler - Arrow headers - PCV&AT - Ohlins suspension front & rear - Trailtech Voyager - Steel braded lines on everything - Ride On skid plate - Carbon fork guards - rear disc gard - rear res guard - WC turn signals - WC headlight guard - ADV tires - WC/ride on graphics - sync TB - Baja Squadrons & S2 - custom dash LED's - Custom light harness - Ride On custom light switch - Keyless gas cap

Offline Fpalbrecht

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 10:19:36 pm »
Thanks for the heads up. I will keep the threads clean and lubed.