Author Topic: Visiting Melbourne from USA in mid-August  (Read 1236 times)

Offline jmcgilroy

Visiting Melbourne from USA in mid-August
« on: June 13, 2017, 12:47:31 am »
I'm arriving in Melbourne on a cargo ship in mid August and thinking of renting a bike for a week long ride.  I know to stay away from the Alps area but how about the coast over to Adelaide?  Then up to Broken Hill and back down to Melbourne that's about 2300Km. 
I'm not worried about temps as long as they're above freezing but snow/ice would change my plans.

Any thoughts from the locals? 

I've looked at a few websites for rental options, also... Garner's looks good at first glance but I'm sure there are a few more and recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Offline Pilotuh1b

Re: Visiting Melbourne from USA in mid-August
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 01:36:50 am »
G'day mate,

That should be a nice ride. Great ocean road along the south along the south of Victoria and across to south Australia and then either Murray river along the border back or even up through north west vic gets great reports. Horsham/ Grampians etc. up to broken hill may be problematic depending on rain. I'm not sure if there's tar all the way but distances in Australia are usually surprising when coming from overseas.

There will be areas of pretty cold on the trip and normally very few sub zero apart from the NSW and VIC snowy's.

Can't help with rental companies sorry.
"Australia has around 1,000,000klms of road, of which only around 400,000klms are paved."

Why limit yourself!!

Offline Roge

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 01:37:30 am »
Hi Jim

There is plenty of riding without going too far into the "Alps" and that is not impossible. From Melbourne there is the Great Ocean Road towards Adelaide, The Grampian Mountains and many miles of interesting roads to the North of Melbourne and the Sapphire Coast. The road beyond the Ocean Rd and to Broken Hill is long flat and featureless which in its own way is interesting but there are better places. The Adelaide Hills Barossa Valley and up to the Flinders is interesting depending on the style of bike you have.
Personally I would go Ocean Rd, Grampians, Mansfield / Jamison Southern NSW Sapphire Coast. There are plenty of good country Pubs and places to stay.
I love the Adelaide area but there are big distances with not much to see or get too excited about in the transit bits.
The Mutts Nuts

Offline Roge

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 01:40:14 am »
Don't know these but a quick google ...... http://www.offtrackmotorcycles.com.au/
The Mutts Nuts

Offline OX-34

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 02:06:45 am »
I test-rode a Super Tenere by renting one from Garners before buying mine. They were easy to deal with.

You've described a nice big loop that will see you riding some interesting coastal sections plus a big chunk of outback worthy of Mad Max.
FarRider #92
IBA # 486
Rides on the Tenere: SS2000km, BBG2500km, BB2500km, 100CCC

Offline Roge

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 06:41:08 am »
I test-rode a Super Tenere by renting one from Garners before buying mine. They were easy to deal with.

You've described a nice big loop that will see you riding some interesting coastal sections plus a big chunk of outback worthy of Mad Max.

In fact Silverton is where the original Mad Max was filmed
The Mutts Nuts

Offline snakebitten

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 07:38:25 am »
Garners is where I rented the Tenere. I didn't realize winter was reversed and unwittingly headed for the Alps in May. It was fantastic, but chilly in the mornings.
The Great Ocean Highway is wicked cool too.

You're sure to have a blast.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 07:41:36 am by snakebitten »
XT1200Z  TBDBITW  (The Biggest Dirt Bike in The World)
KTM 500 EXC              Dirtiest Street Bike In The World
KTM 950 SE           (The Substitute for the XT700Z that's coming)

Offline snakebitten

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 07:47:25 am »
One of my favorite pics (and cherished memories) of the entire 2 week adventure in OZ.
It's when we pulled into to the Cuckaburrow Lodge on the Great Ocean Highway. The picture doesn't capture how unbelievably awesome the place is.
Was expensive. Worth every penny. Since it was out-of-season, we were the only guests! Amazing place.

Offline OX-34

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 08:47:05 am »
In fact Silverton is where the original Mad Max was filmed

Ahh.......yeah Roge. That's why I wrote that.
FarRider #92
IBA # 486
Rides on the Tenere: SS2000km, BBG2500km, BB2500km, 100CCC

Offline jmcgilroy

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 11:53:10 am »
Thanks for the help so far.

Roge - You're saying that riding out to the east from Melbourne is possible along the coast,  maybe out thru Eden - Wollongong then cut back along the northern side of the Alps toward Albury - Wangaratta then back to Melbourne 

snakebitten - Can't find website for Cuckaburrow Lodge, it that spelling correct?

Ox-34 - thanks for the info on Garner's.  Going just by the website, they looked like the most reasonable, it's good to have a personal review.

Pilot UH1B - I want your job!

Offline snakebitten

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 01:25:04 pm »
Pretty sure this is it:
Kookaburra Cottages

5750 Great Ocean Road 3232
The "Beach Cottage" is the one we chose. You'll know why when you see the hot tub room. :)

Offline Roge

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 04:50:33 pm »
Ahh.......yeah Roge. That's why I wrote that.

Just filling in the detail, nothing intended.
The Mutts Nuts

Offline Roge

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 04:58:40 pm »
Thanks for the help so far.

Roge - You're saying that riding out to the east from Melbourne is possible along the coast,  maybe out thru Eden - Wollongong then cut back along the northern side of the Alps toward Albury - Wangaratta then back to Melbourne 

snakebitten - Can't find website for Cuckaburrow Lodge, it that spelling correct?

Ox-34 - thanks for the info on Garner's.  Going just by the website, they looked like the most reasonable, it's good to have a personal review.

Pilot UH1B - I want your job!

Yes it is, it great up there if you watch the websites you can get over the Highlands all year-round. Stay away from the ski resorts and whilst cold there is good riding to be had.
In fine weather the Ocean road is as pretty as anywhere in the world but is becoming speed limited by the fun police to 80 and 60kph.
Remember it's much bigger her than the map appears.
The Mutts Nuts

Offline Pilotuh1b

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 11:34:10 pm »
Jmcgilroy, I used to fly UH-1H, but I set the email up while I was on pilots course and went with B for some unknown reason.

It was brilliant fun but when the family came along it was time to handover to the young guys. I fly a cushy desk managing SAR missions now.  ::008::

Which reminds me, carry a spot or a plb because some of the places are a long way from help with limited cell coverage.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:35:44 pm by Pilotuh1b »
"Australia has around 1,000,000klms of road, of which only around 400,000klms are paved."

Why limit yourself!!

Offline Roge

The Mutts Nuts