Author Topic: TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System Reviews- Need Input  (Read 342 times)

Offline npj1966

TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System Reviews- Need Input
« on: February 13, 2018, 10:44:03 am »
So- Just to preface this post- I have read forum input on TPMS and wanted to encapsulate a review post on what products work for everyone in an effort to make it easier for a member here to make the best decision on TPMS.  Please contribute all factors of your decision in your eventual purchase.  I know alot of guys who went with RRR Tools, Garmin to name a few, but I kind of get lost trying to sift threw the commentary on what works best- for example, an internal apparatus versus an external one OR the shelf life of the battery system a product uses OR whether pressure and temperature are necessary.  I appreciate any input on your decision and purchase as I am trying to come to a decision to replace tires this spring

-NPJ
NPJ1966

Offline WJBertrand

• Ventura Highway
Re: TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System Reviews- Need Input
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 01:45:46 pm »
My write up on the Orange Electronics TPMS system is posted here somewhere.
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline Bryce

• Ya, Whatever!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 02:28:46 pm »
While I like the Blue tooth interface to my phone (I use my phone for GPS and everythign else on my bike), I'm not really thrilled with the Fobo Bike units ( https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOBIKE ).  The Pressure seems to swing a good bit more than I acutally observer when the tires warm up and while sitting in my garage with the bike cold, neither will report the same temperature or the temperature of the garage.. there is no way to calibrate this and I'm not sure if the temperature not reading accurately plays into any sort of calculation in  it's pressure.

Bottom Line:  I don't trust that they are accurate for pressure or temp, but they do seem to let you know if you've had a sudden drop in pressure, so I only use them for that and check pressure with a gauge still.
"It sure beats working all week, boozing it up in some smoky bar or sitting around watching the world go to Hell in living color and still ending up, just before payday, flat broke as usual. That's only existing, not really living." - Don Marshall, Cycles South, 1971

'14 Super Ténéré - Team Yamaha Blue
'08 KLR650 - Blue 21

IBA #63421

Offline WJBertrand

• Ventura Highway
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 04:09:00 pm »
I've always wondered how those valve cap type sensors can measure tire temperature compared to the in-tire designs? The Orange system is an in-tire design as is the SmarTire system (since discontinued) on my ST1300. Both seem very accurate.
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline imsteveiv

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 05:48:20 pm »
My wife got me the Rupse TPMS system for christmas. The Rupse uses the sensors on the valve stem. I've only ridden with it a handful of times but so far I've been happy with it. It takes a few minutes for the sensors to connect when I'm riding but once connected they seem to be accurate and as the tires warm up I can see the pressure increase. I've compared the TPMS readings against another digital pressure sensor and they gave the same readings.
2016 Super Tenere ES
2016 WR450
1996 Honda XR250L

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 08:58:54 am »
I've always wondered how those valve cap type sensors can measure tire temperature compared to the in-tire designs? The Orange system is an in-tire design as is the SmarTire system (since discontinued) on my ST1300. Both seem very accurate.

Setting the temp subject aside, I've seen one of the cap-mounted sensors broken by a piece of road debris. It resulted in an immediately flat front tire and somebody lucky enough to pull over without falling.
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Online Cycledude

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 02:54:53 pm »
To me it seems like most TPMS systems are more trouble than their worth, but many folks are unable to notice a low tire and for them I think having a TPMS is a very good option.  One of my bikes does have TPMS, it’s a cool feature but that’s about it.
email ehcycledude@yahoo.com
2013 Tenere heading for Inuvik about August 10th 2018
http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=21543.0

Alaska and western Canada trip planing
http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?board=84.0

2002 Honda GL1800, yellow, currently 508,000 smiles

Offline Gregory

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 03:25:21 pm »
I use the Steelmate.. excellent piece of kit.. Does pressure , tyre temperature and battery voltage.. accurate with 1 or 2 degrees..

Greg

Offline RhodeTrip

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 06:56:37 pm »
Been using Doran TPMS for years; one of the most important pieces safety gear I own. Batteries have died (get 3 years)  but that is the only issue I have had.
Jim

Offline WJBertrand

• Ventura Highway
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 08:55:09 pm »
To me it seems like most TPMS systems are more trouble than their worth, but many folks are unable to notice a low tire and for them I think having a TPMS is a very good option.  One of my bikes does have TPMS, it’s a cool feature but that’s about it.

Wait until you have puncture whilst underway at speed. The real value is that you get the warning before you’re able to notice any handling problem. In my case it gave me enough time to exit the car pool lane, traverse 6 lanes of rush hour traffic, find an off ramp and ultimately a service station. I carry plugs and an air compressor, but I sure rather make this repair safely away from the shoulder of a busy highway!

No matter how religiously one checks and adjusts tire pressures, you could still sustain a puncture in route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline 2daMax

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 09:56:01 pm »
I am using a 4 Channel TPMS, externally mounted sensors, meant for cars, plug into a cig socket.  Can't even remember the brand cause it is China brand, and bought it off from a friend who decided he wanted an internally mounted sensors.

Pros:
1. In riding pressure monitoring, with tire temperatures (??  accuracy ??).  Good to sense if you are loosing air and can plan ahead for that leak fix. 
2. Convenience under normal circumstances as you don't have to work hard to probe the pressure.  Guess long tire life is the result if you can monitor the pressures.  Great for lazy ppl like me who seldom check tire pressures and use the kick the tire method to estimate good pressure.
3. Being a China brand, and a car unit, it means cheaper than most bike specific TPMS.
4. The unit that I have has a USB 5V output.  I use it to charge the phone or gps unit.

Cons:
1. The low pressure alarm is not loud enough to be heard when moving in highway speeds unless you are paying attention. 
2. Since it is a car unit, it is not Waterproof, so your own device to make it WP.
3. You won't know the pressure till a few seconds after moving.  So u really can't check the tire pressure before the ride.
4. Since it is mounted in a Cig 12V socket, u need to install one and also it can get stolen if you forget to remove the display unit.
5. Putting on pressure to the tires is more work now, as the external sensors needs removing with a special anti theft tool.
Current: 2012 Super Tenere - White/Red Speedblocks
Previous:
2011 to 2015 - Kawasaki Versys 650 2011
2010 to 2011 - Kawasaki Ninja 250R 2008

Offline npj1966

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 08:05:53 am »
Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.  After much thought, reading here and on the forum and Google, I have decided to go with the internal TPMS that RRR Tool sells- Orange Electronics product.  Gonna grab a Tool Roll to boot in this purchase.  Thanks again.

PS- I have also decided to mount Continental Conti Attack 2 tires !!!

-NPJ
NPJ1966