Author Topic: Rear Lights | Night Riding: To be seen clearly from behind  (Read 520 times)

Offline Rambler

• Posh:Goondas
Rear Lights | Night Riding: To be seen clearly from behind
« on: February 12, 2018, 08:35:30 am »
Night riding - urban and Highways -
What are fellow Tenerians doing to be seen by Cagers coming up behind? There are multiple options to light up the front. But I haven’t seen many posts about lighting up our ‘behinds’.

I was thinking - feasibility and  mounting permitting - for small LED lights facing down towards the road lighting - up the area on the sides of the rear tire?
Rambler
2017 ES | IBA# 58774 | Blog: PoshGoondas | Instagram: IG1 & IG2
Previous wheels: 2009 FJR 1300AE | 2010 Triumph Speedmaster

Offline Dogdaze

Re: Rear Lights | Night Riding: To be seen clearly from behind
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 08:52:14 am »
I'll start by saying this; if more lights at the rear would prevent being rammed from behind, how come there are so many rear-enders to cars? All the lights in the world will not prevent an inattentive driver from smashing into you.
Now, I too believe in being seen, but I think the most effective method other than brighter lights (these only serve to annoy the driver behind) is the helmet light technology, something high up tends to grab their attention. Just my method when riding a bicycle, a flashing helmet light. because it's different, something out of the ordinary. People get used to seeing the same thing all the time, then become 'blind' to it, if that makes sense?
As I get older, I am no longer surprised at what I know, I'm surprised at how much I don't know.

Offline Rambler

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 09:23:52 am »
‘Becoming blind to the red lights AND one or two small red lights getting lost in the camouflage of multiple red lights in the field of vision.
Your suggestion is a good one. Perhaps light up the back of the helmet with reflective tape at the minimum.
I was thinking up lighting up Low down just as your suggestion of lighting up high up.
Will it stop rammers - I think not - but maybe that many fewer chances.
Rambler

Offline Ramseybella

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 10:52:51 am »
I'll start by saying this; if more lights at the rear would prevent being rammed from behind, how come there are so many rear-enders to cars? All the lights in the world will not prevent an inattentive driver from smashing into you.
Now, I too believe in being seen, but I think the most effective method other than brighter lights (these only serve to annoy the driver behind) is the helmet light technology, something high up tends to grab their attention. Just my method when riding a bicycle, a flashing helmet light. because it's different, something out of the ordinary. People get used to seeing the same thing all the time, then become 'blind' to it, if that makes sense?
That's something that i was thinking of if you could make it wireless to activate when you hit the breaks.
I find the fluttering rear lights catches attention as well. But i can't get it out of my head one afternoon sitting at a long winded train crossing in Santa Fe, NM.
This teenage girl in a monster ford F-250 coming up behind me while texting as she was creeping up little by little and not once looked. I actually got off my bike took three steps and tapped on her hood she just freaked. I asked her do you see my bike? "Yes" good cause you're about to own it, stop texting pay attention.
That texting while driving drives me nuts, and i still see it going on.
Another seriously bad situation is at rush hour and you're heading west into the sunset. Half the time in the southwest it's so bright you can't even tell if it's Green, Yellow or red, you need welders goggles!!
 That's the time i see more rear end collisions and T-bone's at intersections, everyone is in a rush and can't see a damn thing.
I don't know what would draw attention in that situation on a bike let alone a car?
"Technology applied for the sake of those who wish to escape it"

Offline Rambler

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 11:14:54 am »

We can try all we like to be seen.
But that only works when the Cagers actually look at the road and vehicles in front of them  ::010:: ::010::
Rambler

Offline WJBertrand

• Ventura Highway
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 11:41:40 am »
Why not slap on some 3M reflective tape?  It's very bright (make sure it's the 3M brand) and you can get it lots of different colors.  I've put some black (reflects bright white) strips on my OEM panniers and top box. Also consider reflective riding gear.
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline AVGeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 11:43:37 am »
Why not slap on some 3M reflective tape?  It's very bright (make sure it's the 3M brand) and you can get it lots of different colors.  I've put some black (reflects bright white) strips on my OEM panniers and top box. Also consider reflective riding gear.

I did something similar on my panniers...I used some of the white/red reflective tape similar to what you see on OTR trailers.  It was visible day and night!
IBA# 54462

Offline greenwall

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 02:18:08 pm »
One word. Hyperlights. The first thing I add to every bike I have ever owned. Two 8 or 16 (take your choice) VERY bright led pods about 11/4 inch by 1/2 inch (16s). They strobe for a few seconds every time you tap the brakes and then stay on while the brake is applied. Or you can not cut a little wire and they strobe for as long as the brake is applied. I always cut the wire, because that would be highly annoying for someone stuck behind you at a stop light. I can always release the brake for a second and re-strobe it when I see someone coming up behind me. And I often do just that. Relatively old tech, compared to some of the new stuff, but they are effective. At least so far. Knock on wood.

Offline Rambler

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 03:27:54 pm »

Currently no panniers. When I go get around to spendy spendy - I'll probably go soft panniers or semi-rigids. So no real estate for the reflectives.
Rambler

Offline Madhatter

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 07:13:19 pm »
I added a single LED pod from rigid , 200 lumens (in red ) ,about 70.00 ..... only activates when breaks are applied , so suddenly an extra light that is far brighter than brake light comes on.... hopefully this will catch their eye.... seems to be working , people stop a little farther away , so it seems.... I mounted it on the fender lower than taillight , doesn't seem to be a disadvantage ..... as cars approach from rear I at times apply the brakes in a flashing mode to catch their eye ...... no guaranties , you do what you can.... and I have added 3m reflective tape to panniers as a passive attention getter. and I wear a darian jacket with that large reflective strip across the back....

Offline escapefjrtist

• Searching for Dry Roads
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 09:58:29 pm »
I went with 3M reflective material on the bags. Barely visible during the day, lights up the whole rear of the bike at night.

--G
IBA 34365
'12 Super Tenere
'15 FJR1300

Offline EricV

• Rumbux Importer - Riding, farkling, riding...
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 11:37:59 pm »
Skip the rear lights.  Do the reflective 3M tape on the back and sides of your helmet.  it stands out more to people at night.

Rear lights - Targets for Drunks.  Every year, in every state, drunks rear end police cars and EMTs because they focus on the pretty lights and aim in on them.  It's a hypnotic response at a subconscious level.  And guess what?  Commuters on the same path every day tend to have an identical response mode.  Scary, but true.  They see what they expect to see, and tend to treat flashing lights like a guide to where they should be aiming the car for to keep up with traffic.

They look, but don't always see.
Matte Black 2015 Super Tenere
Rumbux Adventure Products Importer
Eval Innovations Inc.

Offline Madhatter

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 06:37:07 am »
EricV, I'm kinda sitting here with a grin on my face as I am one who has stated ( to my coworkers , not on forum) that bright lights reflective vest etc. seem to attract drunks likes moths to a fire.... but having said that, for those that are not impaired, hoping that one little LED will catch their attention..... makes me feel better non the less.

Offline Kevhunts

• "For every one you see, you probably missed three"
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 07:31:30 am »
Night riding - urban and Highways -
What are fellow Tenerians doing to be seen by Cagers coming up behind? There are multiple options to light up the front. But I haven’t seen many posts about lighting up our ‘behinds’.

I was thinking - feasibility and  mounting permitting - for small LED lights facing down towards the road lighting - up the area on the sides of the rear tire?

I found adding a brake light modulator made a huge difference with driver's response behind me. I recommend this company as they offer some nice options and great service.

http://www.vizi-tec.com/

The act of riding is a form of meditation, because the concentration that's required to safely ride a motorcycle tends to focus the mind in a way that eliminates other mental distractions that might interfere with the mission.

Offline Jeff M

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 08:53:55 pm »
I also have the brake light modulator and it works good . It has many settings , just pick what you think will work best . Got it from Custom Dynamics and its warranted for life , many strobe settings.

testate