Author Topic: recommendations for skid plate  (Read 927 times)

Offline terrysig

Re: recommendations for skid plate
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2018, 05:31:17 am »
I was intrigued so emailed Alan at Ravetech. He said his skid plate mounts in the lower engine bolts. Right above the header.

I also asked about the cutout for the oil drain plug. The pics online show just one. He said he could add the other or not cut any. I prefer none since I've never used them to change the oil. I asked about a cut out for the left side vent tubes and he said no problem but we'd have to work out where the cut out would be located. He no longer has an S10 to look at.

Finally i asked about mounting bolts. I would rather have buttonhead than hex and he had no problem with that either.

Pretty accommodating.
DoD #1225 - Denizens Forever

Offline steve68steve

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 08:02:35 am »
Another happy ACD owner.  Oil changes are a pain without removing it, IME.  Removing and re-installing it is a pain, IME.  I live in FL, so I don't keep it installed all the time.  It only goes on for long trips, tours, vacations, etc., before or after which I'm usually doing an oil change anyway.

So, EVERY time I've had it off pavement in big rocks, I wind up having at least one event which produces a loud, sickening, "BANG!".  I've dropped off little ledges and landed on it, drug it over rocks, rode thru LOTS of gravel.

At some point following a trip, there's a ritual of me hosing it out and hammering dents out of it.  Every scar on that thing justifies its existence.

Offline WJBertrand

• Ventura Highway
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2018, 06:04:21 pm »
I was intrigued so emailed Alan at Ravetech. He said his skid plate mounts in the lower engine bolts. Right above the header.

I also asked about the cutout for the oil drain plug. The pics online show just one. He said he could add the other or not cut any. I prefer none since I've never used them to change the oil. I asked about a cut out for the left side vent tubes and he said no problem but we'd have to work out where the cut out would be located. He no longer has an S10 to look at.

Finally i asked about mounting bolts. I would rather have buttonhead than hex and he had no problem with that either.

Pretty accommodating.

I didn’t know the button head bolts were an option, maybe I’ll contact him as I’d also prefer those. My plate has a cut out for the foreword drain bolt but not for the main rear one. Doesn’t much matter to me since I have to drop the plate to change the filter anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES

Offline terrysig

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 06:52:41 am »
Exactly what i told Alan. I've never use those hole on any of my skid plates so would rather not have it.

But what do you do for the vent hoses on the Ravetech? Both side just lay in the plate?
DoD #1225 - Denizens Forever

Offline SilverBullet

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 11:38:16 am »
I lined the inside of mine with dynamat material. Alternatively you could spray some kind of undercoating or rhino liner stuff in there to dampen the noise reflections.
I use dirt bike skid plate foam with mine. Not only does it prevent any skid plate resonating, it helps deaden engine noise and fills the gap between engine and skid plate preventing dirt, mud and rocks from accumulating there.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2004 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
2002 KTM 300 EXC

Offline ABBlender

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2018, 12:04:06 pm »
Love my ACD plate.  Went to the front stud setup and that makes things nicer for sure.  It can be a little fiddly the first couple times getting it off and on, but after you get a sequence, it is pretty quick.  For me, I have it off the bike in about 5 minutes for an oil change and then probably back on in about 10 minutes.  I don't consider it too cumbersome to handle alone.  I don't get crazy with drops, so it's just been gravel and the odd bottom scrape...nothing to bend it seriously out of shape, but it's been perfect.  Never a scrape in the corners either.

Stays on the bike year-round.

Offline BWC

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2018, 08:13:53 pm »
Also have the ACD skid plate. I did the stud conversion which really helped in mounting/dismounting the plate, but I kept thinking could it be modified for quicker oil changes especially when on extended rides.
I cut the hole for filter access and also added a couple of 1 inch holes to get at the oil drain plugs. I would imagine these mods may weaken the plate a small amount, but it has taken some pretty good hits and been straightened  without any problems. I find changing oil on the side stand keeps most of the mess to one side of the plate so clean up isn't to bad.
It recently got painted black and moved over to my next Tenere.

Offline WJBertrand

• Ventura Highway
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2018, 10:50:00 pm »

But what do you do for the vent hoses on the Ravetech? Both side just lay in the plate?

Yeah, the coolant overflow hose is just laying in there. The two fuel tank vent hoses on the left are also tucked inside the plate but end about 1” forward of the front drain plug cutout. Hasn’t been an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES

Offline spam16v

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 07:47:28 pm »
Rumbux are 100% bomb proof and ready for battle, ACD combined with Altrider crash bars are the next best (what I run) a close second and the rest are splash guards in my opinion.

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 08:34:00 pm »
Rumbux are 100% bomb proof and ready for battle, ACD combined with Altrider crash bars are the next best (what I run) a close second and the rest are splash guards in my opinion.

I'd put RideOnADV ahead of Rumbux in the hardcore in the domain of break the bike first. But by the point that you go through either, you'll have bigger problems.
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline Rambler

• Posh:Goondas
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 10:05:20 pm »
I went with ACD.
Next up. Studs and also look at the oil filter opening and drain plug hole.

Rambler
2017 ES | IBA# 58774 | Blog: PoshGoondas | Instagram: IG1 & IG2 | YouTube: YT1
Previous wheels: 2009 FJR 1300AE | 2010 Triumph Speedmaster