Author Topic: No idle and high idle problem  (Read 20353 times)

Offline JoshMundy

Re: No idle and high idle problem
« Reply #150 on: August 25, 2017, 12:32:32 pm »
Thanks 911.  Its at the shop and I have called yamaha customer relations and have a ticket open on the matter to hopefully speed up the fixing issue if the dealership cannot get it figured out.  Ill keep everyone updated. 
2013 Super Tenere - Wasp graphics,Yamaha skid plate, Yosh RS4 carbon/SS exhaust with Carbon Fiber heat shield, Seat Concepts Seat, GIVI crash bars,Cyclops LED headlight, Rigid LED Light Bar, Galfer Stainless Brake/Clutch lines, Heated grips with electronic 3-way control, ProTaper Raptor Bars, Custom dash buttons to left control area, SW-Motech GPS mount with hardwired Garmin Zumo 660, Touratech Sport Tour Stainless Pegs, Fuze Block wiring.

Offline JoshMundy

« Reply #151 on: August 28, 2017, 01:57:36 pm »
Shop just called me.  The issue on the bike is being consistent, which is good I guess.   They are thinking its the ECU, but they cannot get a unit to test it until friday best case, more likely tues / wed next week.
2013 Super Tenere - Wasp graphics,Yamaha skid plate, Yosh RS4 carbon/SS exhaust with Carbon Fiber heat shield, Seat Concepts Seat, GIVI crash bars,Cyclops LED headlight, Rigid LED Light Bar, Galfer Stainless Brake/Clutch lines, Heated grips with electronic 3-way control, ProTaper Raptor Bars, Custom dash buttons to left control area, SW-Motech GPS mount with hardwired Garmin Zumo 660, Touratech Sport Tour Stainless Pegs, Fuze Block wiring.

Offline 911guy

« Reply #152 on: August 28, 2017, 02:06:23 pm »
My shop had to do the same thing, no issues found in ECU. I was got a little worried because those run around $1,000.

Offline Ramseybella

« Reply #153 on: August 29, 2017, 09:00:33 pm »
Any of you two had a flash done?
"Technology applied for the sake of those who wish to escape it"

Offline 911guy

« Reply #154 on: August 30, 2017, 01:15:47 am »
My ECU was not flashed. I wanted to but I was not about to have that be thrown back at me as the issue. I will be looking at it in the near future once I get a few thousand miles in the bag.

Offline JoshMundy

« Reply #155 on: September 11, 2017, 10:59:46 pm »
Just an update - shop got the ecu in  Wednesday but has not had time to install and test.  So just waiting to hear back.  Just got home yesterday from a 4000 mile trip I was able to do with a good friends bike he let me borrow

Offline JoshMundy

« Reply #156 on: September 12, 2017, 07:46:43 pm »
shop just called, said they put new ecu in and no issues, did 2 seperate test rides.  saying $1600 for bill.  I asked them to swap back in the old ecu and try it, as i dont think its the ecu.  They agreed to swap it back in and see if errors came back

Offline jbrown

« Reply #157 on: September 12, 2017, 07:59:41 pm »
$1600, wow! They occasionally show up on ebay from wrecked bikes. Usually around $500. I picked up a working, but physically damaged one two years ago for under $100, just to experiment with.

Offline EricV

• Rumbux Importer - Riding, farkling, riding...
« Reply #158 on: September 12, 2017, 08:14:15 pm »
There is an ECU from a '14 ES on eBay for $579 with free shipping at the moment.  LINKY
Matte Black 2015 Super Tenere
Rumbux Adventure Products Importer
Eval Innovations Inc.

Offline JoshMundy

« Reply #159 on: September 13, 2017, 05:04:13 pm »
Shop just called back and said mechanic put old ecu in, rode it for a bit and problem came back as expected.   Returned to shop, installed new ecu and did another test and ran great.   Guess ecu is to blame.  Shop says there is a 30 day warranty so im gonna have  a buddy ride it for the 30 days as he rides every day and make sure no issues.

$1600, wow! They occasionally show up on ebay from wrecked bikes. Usually around $500. I picked up a working, but physically damaged one two years ago for under $100, just to experiment with.

There is an ECU from a '14 ES on eBay for $579 with free shipping at the moment.  LINKY

I know i could get one myself cheaper, and $1600 is parts and labor.  $1200 for ecu from yamaha themselves, new online i was seeing about $1000 so not too bad.  Also not sure a 14 es ecu would work in a 13.  Ill try to get the bike in next day or two

Offline JoshMundy

« Reply #160 on: September 14, 2017, 04:37:22 pm »
So went and picked up bike today.  Started to ride it home and just curious pulled in clutch on hwy and bam, bike died.   Popped clutch it started, rode to nearest exit, bike dies on exit.  NO error codes or anything, just dies.  Turn key off, wait 10 seconds, turn back on and start bike and it starts up.  Ride it back to shop no issues (ofcourse!)  So talk with mechanic about what all it was doing and more, and they take it back to look into it more.  I know its hard for them to do much with something that is intermittent, but hopefully they experience it dying without codes here soon so they see whats going on and im not just crazy!

Online Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
« Reply #161 on: September 14, 2017, 04:52:45 pm »
So went and picked up bike today.  Started to ride it home and just curious pulled in clutch on hwy and bam, bike died.   Popped clutch it started, rode to nearest exit, bike dies on exit.  NO error codes or anything, just dies.  Turn key off, wait 10 seconds, turn back on and start bike and it starts up.  Ride it back to shop no issues (ofcourse!)  So talk with mechanic about what all it was doing and more, and they take it back to look into it more.  I know its hard for them to do much with something that is intermittent, but hopefully they experience it dying without codes here soon so they see whats going on and im not just crazy!

Try shorting the clutch wires beneath the left hand grip and see if it kills the problem. This is a rouble-shooting step and realize that this will create hazards that include being able to start with the clutch engaged and that the cruise will not be de-actiavted by pulling the clutch. If it does not, follow the wires to the connector near the ECU and short them there. About 14% of electrical issues are in connectors and so see if one of yours has an intermittent connection.
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline JoshMundy

« Reply #162 on: September 14, 2017, 04:58:40 pm »

Try shorting the clutch wires beneath the left hand grip and see if it kills the problem. This is a rouble-shooting step and realize that this will create hazards that include being able to start with the clutch engaged and that the cruise will not be de-actiavted by pulling the clutch. If it does not, follow the wires to the connector near the ECU and short them there. About 14% of electrical issues are in connectors and so see if one of yours has an intermittent connection.

Curious, why would shorting the clutch wires cause the bike to die when clutch is pulled in?  IIRC, all the clutch wires do on a pre 14 bike is not allow the bike to start when clutch lever out and in gear.

Online Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
« Reply #163 on: September 14, 2017, 05:07:45 pm »
Curious, why would shorting the clutch wires cause the bike to die when clutch is pulled in?  IIRC, all the clutch wires do on a pre 14 bike is not allow the bike to start when clutch lever out and in gear.

The ECU also recognizes the state of the clutch, because this is a throttle by wire bike.
I should have added the step of trying to run it with the wires disconnected at the closest possible to the ECU. This will require pulling a pin from a connector. If you don't have a pin tool the dealer should.
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline JoshMundy

« Reply #164 on: September 14, 2017, 05:31:55 pm »

The ECU also recognizes the state of the clutch, because this is a throttle by wire bike.
I should have added the step of trying to run it with the wires disconnected at the closest possible to the ECU. This will require pulling a pin from a connector. If you don't have a pin tool the dealer should.

Thats right, there is a different mapping for the ecu when clutch lever is pulled in.  But wouldnt a different ECU  have corrected an issue with the mapping when pulled in?