Author Topic: Sena 10C - Blurry Image Issue  (Read 213 times)

Offline Terminus

Sena 10C - Blurry Image Issue
« on: September 11, 2017, 04:55:36 pm »
All,

I just got the Sena 10C and tried it out on a ride last week.  Overall it is sweet, but I was noticing the images were not as clear as I would expect.  Up close the images on the video and still shots are clear.  Far away objects get blurry.  There is no focusing the camera, so I am a bit confused.  I submitted a ticket to Sena's help desk, but all they did is answer like good IT staff and told me to reset and reboot.  (I have done that already..... ::010::).  Have any of you experienced this?  Do I have a defective unit or is this how the 10C is?

Actually here are a couple of pictures you can see for reference: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx3F7nBvG-9mbjVNazlFUG01YXM/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx3F7nBvG-9mdldqMktUYlBGSU0/view?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance!
Red 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere (non-es)

Offline Dirt_Dad

Re: Sena 10C - Blurry Image Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 06:23:39 pm »
Sorry, have no suggestion for you on the camera.  I did consider that camera at one point, but held off on getting it.

I am wondering about the heated grip controller on the Gen 2 bike.  Did you have a problem with the OEM grips?
17 Super Tenere ES
15 Super Tenere ES
12 Super Tenere (currently for sale at Romney Cycles)
12 Yamaha XT250
13 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline Terminus

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 08:56:06 am »
Sorry, I don't have the ES so I don't have the OEM heated grips.  I put on the Oxford grips and they are flawless.

Offline RicoChet

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 09:19:31 am »
Interesting problem. From what it looks like to me, it looks like the camera aperture is open pretty wide so the focus being closer is better but further out it gets blurry. There is no other reason I Can think of where the foreground is in focus and the background is blurred out. I was going to suggest something simple like clean your lens but this seems completely different. Keep us posted!
Current Bike: 2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES & 2012 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Offline Dirt_Dad

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 04:55:23 pm »
Sorry, I don't have the ES so I don't have the OEM heated grips. 

For some reason I had it in my head that both gen 2 versions had heated grips.  I guess I was wrong on that.  I've used the Oxfords in the past and agree, they do a great job.

Good luck with the camera.
17 Super Tenere ES
15 Super Tenere ES
12 Super Tenere (currently for sale at Romney Cycles)
12 Yamaha XT250
13 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline Terminus

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 08:46:52 am »
All,

After going back and forth with Sena support, I think they are going to replace the camera.  The problem is they are on back order.  I have heard others online waiting over 8 weeks for a replacement.  Also, I have to send my camera to them and wait.  I can't wait for them to get the camera back in stock.  I just bought this off of Amazon at the beginning of September.  I am wondering if I can still return it directly to Amazon?  A lot of time electronics you can't return once you open them.  Do you know Amazon's policy?

Offline Terminus

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 08:49:50 am »
Interesting problem. From what it looks like to me, it looks like the camera aperture is open pretty wide so the focus being closer is better but further out it gets blurry. There is no other reason I Can think of where the foreground is in focus and the background is blurred out. I was going to suggest something simple like clean your lens but this seems completely different. Keep us posted!

You are spot on.  I have seen a few others post this same issue about this camera in other forums.  Most others that have this camera say they do not have this problem with it.  Hopefully I just got a bad one.  The funny thing is the support person at Sena basically said the camera they have does the same thing so for quite a while I could not convince them it was not supposed to be that way!!!  I think I was finally able to convince them that the camera they have is also not working right.....  Not entirely sure who is supporting who???

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 11:13:07 am »
Sena only has a few dozen employees and they are innovative, they do support their products the best they can, but they are not camera people. There've been times when they've been overwhelmed before.
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline Terminus

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 12:26:24 pm »
Sena only has a few dozen employees and they are innovative, they do support their products the best they can, but they are not camera people. There've been times when they've been overwhelmed before.

Agreed.  They have been very good overall.  I am not saying they were not.  The biggest problem I had was the person helping me had the same defective camera so they thought it was normal.  I think this issue I am experiencing is pretty rare overall.

Beside the camera focus, the unit is very cool.