Author Topic: Help fitting tool box on my S10  (Read 229 times)

Offline GunNut37086

• You don't need a therapist if you own a motorcycle
Help fitting tool box on my S10
« on: August 12, 2017, 12:38:24 pm »
I have a 2012 with Hepco & Becker racks and Caribou 35L Pelican cases. I really want a decent aluminum tool box that locks, preferably one I could open from the front due to rear turn signal placement, but that's not a deal-killer.

I've been looking at something like the BUMOT Defender or the DSBP Raid Toolbox.

My concern is how to get them mounted to my pannier rack. the Raid box looks nice, but not sure it'll work inside my panniers. The Defender is awesome, but it's much shorter than my racks. I only use the side cases on trips, so for daily riding I want it to look clean, not hacked together.

Would love some suggestions/recommendations.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 12:02:32 am by GunNut37086 »
I shall pass this way but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Offline WJBertrand

• Ventura Highway
Re: Help fitting tool box on my S10
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 12:50:10 pm »
The raid box is pretty close fitting and does not depend on luggage rack type/brand. The turn signal kind of interferes opening the box with the key lock oriented at the top as delivered but the lid can be easily placed on inverted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline EricV

• Rumbux Importer - Riding, farkling, riding...
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 01:28:22 pm »
Or you could mount a Pelican type case so that it opened within the frame of the pannier rack.  If you had the bags on, it wouldn't be accessible w/o removing a bag, but that's not a big deal, IMHO.  These cases are waterproof, lockable and tough.  Just need to measure your space and find the case that fits your needs.  You can fabricate some mounting bars from flat aluminum bar from any decent hardware store and some nuts/bolts/washers.  After that all you need are some basic tools like a hack saw and drill.  If you're really paranoid, a little silicone sealant around the bolt holes.

At the end of the day, it's about your needs and what you want to carry in it, plus how your bike is set up.  Here is one of many sources for cases that has a search you can use with the dimensions you need/want.  http://www.casesbysource.com/category/heavy-duty-waterproof-cases/2

I've done this several times for mounting Pelican/Hardigg cases to various odd places.
Matte Black 2015 Super Tenere
Rumbux Adventure Products Importer
Eval Innovations Inc.

Offline GunNut37086

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 06:44:34 pm »
The raid box is pretty close fitting and does not depend on luggage rack type/brand. The turn signal kind of interferes opening the box with the key lock oriented at the top as delivered but the lid can be easily placed on inverted.

Good to know that about inverting the lid, thanks. I hate to buy it and find it interferes with my pannier racks. That's my main concern.
I shall pass this way but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Offline WJBertrand

• Ventura Highway
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 12:24:46 pm »
Good to know that about inverting the lid, thanks. I hate to buy it and find it interferes with my pannier racks. That's my main concern.

Can't speak for all brands, but it nicely clears the OEM panniers and mountings, and the OEM ones are pretty close fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline DenCoADV

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 11:53:32 pm »
Here's what I did.. I have H&B's as well. Works perfect and inexpensive.

Offline GunNut37086

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 02:33:09 pm »
Here's what I did.. I have H&B's as well. Works perfect and inexpensive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like a small Pelican case mounted upside down and positioned to open toward the inside.

Is it hard to prevent everything from falling out when you open it?
Is it a pain to access from inside the wheel well like that?
Do you recall which case that is?