Author Topic: Comfort on the Tenere  (Read 789 times)

Offline alaskabound

Comfort on the Tenere
« on: August 12, 2017, 08:50:46 am »
Hi all, I am very new at this adventure riding and would like some advice. I am not new to riding but never longer than an hour or so. So here's my deal a few weeks ago I purchased a 2016 es from Glen Burnie Motorsports. I am 60 years old about 6ft. 180 lbs. and a 32 in. inseam. After taking it out for a ride I new very quickly I would need upgrades. I was reaching for the bars, my butt hurt, and my head was buffeting all over the place. I went to cycle gear and purchased a gel seat pad which helped a little. The next week I ordered Rox risers from Jaxson and a windshield from madstad. I installed the risers (I know how anyone installs these without extending everything even flipping the throttle over) which was real hard for me with the bike at 150 miles. Then the windshield came the next day with their mounts and I installed that. So now with all of that said it still doesn't feel right and my helmet is still bouncing my little brain around. Any suggestions for setup of these items so I can better enjoy my rides would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
Re: Comfort on the Tenere
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 09:49:50 am »
Sounds like we're about the same height and inseam, with me in Damascus about 50 minutes west of you. I get together for dinner with a Balmo group on the first Monday each month, so you could try out my Seat Concepts seat and high windshield. Sometimes another Tenere is there and he's a bigger guy.
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/first-mondays-baltimore-rte.878097/

pm me if you are otherwise in the area and want to swap for a ride.
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline tankertruck

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 12:42:06 pm »
I'm in uxbridge ma if you want to stop by and check out what I've done (corner of RI, CT and MA).  Im 6', 32" inseam 200 lbs. I did the flat seat mod (low position), and I'm OK with that for 2 hours at a tim. I'm getting the extended lines installed now at the dealer so I can install the Protaper high adventure bars. This should all be finished early next week.

For a screen, I installed the winglets and have the high tenere screen that i use daily and also I have another screen (forgot what tbh) that i put on for the wife on long rides.  I ride with a large shoei qwest helmet and keep the visor up most of the time with little issue. Feel free to contact me.
2014 Tenere ES

Offline Motowalt

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 12:45:59 pm »
We're about the same physical size...

The Rox risers were an improvement for me both sitting and standing.  I was able to keep the stock hoses and cables on my 2012.

I find the stock Tenere seat really good for most days, but for longer days of 300 up to about 700 miles or so, I use an Airhawk cushion.
Wear bicycle shorts under your riding pants (not jeans as they bind and chafe).
Monkey butt powder is good stuff to use to prevent chafing.
If you've never ridden for more than an hour, gradually get more seat time to break in both seat interfaces...(the bike's and yours...)

The Yamaha side winglets helped a lot on my bike along with the Madstad bracket and Cal Sci shorty shield.  Took a bit of time to get it adjusted just right...
I wear an Arai XD3 helmet with visor.
Here also more ride time will get the neck muscles used to a bit of buffeting.   I haven't managed to get rid of it completely, but have gotten used to it, however, unlike a sport bike with your head so far away from the windscreen I think there will always bit a bit of dirty air flow to deal with.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 12:54:36 pm by Motowalt »

Offline Fennellg

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 02:55:08 pm »
We are the same height and inseam.  I got a russel day long.  After it was broken in, I took a 7000 mile trip out west.  This was the first time I never took Advil on a motor cycle trip. That seat rocks.  You still have to level it.

The stock wind shield is just fine.  You just have to add a spoiler. No more buffeting.  I went with Mra.  Get the small one, not the touring. 

Offline Tangedal

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 03:35:17 pm »
I'm about the same size, put the Slipscreens 23" (58 cm) screen and winglets on mine, works like a charm with very little buffeting.

I also flattened the seat but still got "butthurt" after an hour or so. Instead of monkeying around with bar position or buying thousands of $$$ worth of seat mods, I tried changing my riding position. Sitting up close to the tank, although less comfortable for the family jewels, plus leaning a wee bit more forward, helps a lot.
I've always been crazy, it's kept me from going insane

Offline Nissbird

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 04:03:46 pm »
My solution:
Givi airflow screen tilted back an extra 15° with spacers
2" Rox risers
Longer hydraulic pipes
Tilt original seat as explained on this forum
500 miles a day on non highway roads no problem

Offline alaskabound

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 04:29:46 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions I did do the seat flattening and that has helped. Maybe I'll quit bitchin and start riding and get this stuff worked out. Thanks for the offers to check out your setups. With some miles under my belt I'll know more what I'm looking for.
Thanks again

Offline Sierra1

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 05:57:16 pm »
I, personally, believe that much of the comfort a person feels on his seat....depends on the individual.  Some things will work from person to person, but there are going to be people out there that absolutely nothing can be done to their bike that will allow them to complete 500 mile days in comfort.  The best way to experiment, is go to those guys that are volunteering the bikes for test drives.  Keeps you from wasting money, and you meet genuinely nice people.  (They have to be if they're loaning out their bikes)
In the stable: Me-'17 TENERE ES & '86 FJ 1200; Wife-'01 TW 200; Son 1-'16 R6; Son 2-'14 FJR ES
Out to Pasture: '77 XS 360; '81 SECA 550; '00 KZ 1000P; '04 BMW 1150 RT-P; '11 ST1300PA; '11 KLR

Offline Riteris

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 08:18:00 pm »
I highly recommend this:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-x-creen-sport-add-on-variable-windscreen-spoiler-blade-bolt-on-and-clamp-on-hardware-included

Start there and see if it helps. At least until you get your saddle to what you want. After you get the seat you want, you might consider a taller windscreen.

Also, I might be interested in trading my Seat Concepts seat for your stock one. (I am 5' 7" and the Seat Concepts seat is too tall for me.) 
Cheers,

Chris

Offline RonH

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 10:59:35 pm »
6'2" with 34" inseam here. I must be immune to the torture others endure. I rode 500 miles today, and to me the Tenere is more comfortable than the Goldwing. Both are stone stock. Wife only rides goldwing, so it stays.
2017 Super Tenere 1200ES, 2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing

Offline OX-34

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 11:40:53 pm »
I, personally, believe that much of the comfort a person feels on his seat....depends on the individual.  Some things will work from person to person, but there are going to be people out there that absolutely nothing can be done to their bike that will allow them to complete 500 mile days in comfort.  ..........

Agree.

I've done dozens of 1000mile days and a couple of 1500mile days on mine in total comfort. Risers, Airhawk on a stock seat and a cut down windshield. I just ride the thing.  ::001::
FarRider #92
IBA # 486
Rides on the Tenere: SS2000km, BBG2500km, BB2500km, 100CCC

Offline RonH

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 12:10:36 am »
It takes some time to build up to long days. If you've never ridden more than an hour at a sitting, more seat time will be needed. Changing everything from A to Z will be a waste  of money and effort most likely. I always laugh at guys that complain the first 100 miles they ride and need to change 25 things.
2017 Super Tenere 1200ES, 2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing

Offline Cycledude

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 12:41:46 am »
What kind of helmet are you using ?  I wear an Arai XD4 and have no buffeting issues.  About 600 miles in a day is the most I've ever done on the Tenere and about 90% of that was in the rain, the stock seat mostly works fine for me but if it was a little more plush it would probably be better for me.
I tried one of those screen spoilers and wow it worked great !  but because my bike has the tall windshield I felt it cause the windshield to flex to much and would eventually crack it so I took it off and sold it to someone with a stock windshield.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 12:47:29 am by Cycledude »
2013 Tenere heading for Alaska about May 25th 2016
2002 Honda GL1800, yellow, currently 465,000 smiles

Offline fac191

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 08:27:16 am »
I got a seat concepts 2nd hand off here and it's a huge improvement over stock. The stock foam is way too soft. First ride was 300 miles straight, could not do that before. It rocks.