Author Topic: I need a complete engine  (Read 470 times)

Offline csv

I need a complete engine
« on: August 11, 2017, 11:58:29 am »
Hi All,
I've done the unthinkable and swamped my bike.... at this point, I'm thinking I need a new engine. Anyone know of any from a crashed bike or donor?
Thanks,
Chris
2013 Tenere
2004 BMW R1150rt
1978 KZ monster bobber (that never work$)

Offline EricV

• Rumbux Importer - Riding, farkling, riding...
Re: I need a complete engine
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 12:21:58 pm »
Unless you have already investigated your engine, don't go there yet.  Drain all the fluids, pull the spark plugs, clean out the air box and get a new filter, fill with fresh oil, brake fluid, clutch fluid, coolant and crank the motor with the plugs out.  If it evacuates water, that's not a bad thing.  Expect some to come from the exhaust too unless you pull the header and drain that, (which is not a bad idea).

Once you've cranked the bike w/o the plugs, if you didn't here horrible noises and don't suspect a cam chain slippage, then put the plugs back in, air box on with a new filter, some fresh gas and see if it will start.

If you've already done that, or know you're screwed for some other reason, then go to ebay.  I'm only seeing one in the UK for around $2k right now, but they show up now and then.  Still might be cheaper to deal with some bent valves and a piston if you actually have damage.

Good luck!
Matte Black 2015 Super Tenere
Rumbux Adventure Products Importer
Eval Innovations Inc.

Offline greg the pole

• There are no stupid questions, only stupid people
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 12:55:19 pm »
Shitty.

I do agree with Eric.

However, I'd be worried about the bottom end.  Once you get crap there, the main bearing will not fare well.  A lot of that happens on dirt bikes.  Swap it.  get it home, drain it clean it, and it usually works 50% of the time.

BTW..that motor is extremely heavy.  about 170LB.  Ask me how I know.
There was a guy in Yukon Yamaha that I talked to.  He wanted $4 cdn for his spare motor.  I believe it came out of Rem's bike
My top end rebuild below.
https://thetenerist.wordpress.com/2017/03/04/yamaha-super-tenere-xt-1200-top-end-rebuild/

good luck,

Greg
It's hard to soar like an eagle, when you're surrounded by turkeys

Bikes current:
2012 ST1200 Do it all..with a couple of mods.
2015 FJ09 Comfortable hooligan
2014 KTM 300 XC Smoker.  Ring a ding ding
...ya owned a few ...FZ07, FZ09, FZ01 1st Gen, ST1300, KLR's, DR650's, DR400, DL1000, TLS, VFR,CBR..

Offline EricV

• Rumbux Importer - Riding, farkling, riding...
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 01:15:02 pm »
Nice thing about the dry sump engine, when he drains the oil from the engine, he will have a good idea of how much water actually got there.  The rear drain plug dump would worry me a little less, as I figure the engine would have died pretty quickly when it lost air.  How much water was really ingested is another matter.

If the quart or so of oil from the engine drain is decent and not horribly water effected, then chances are the bottom end may be ok.  No one will know until more investigation is done.  Turning the motor over by hand, (put the bike in gear and turn the rear wheel with it on the center stand), might give a clue to if there is valve/piston hitting.  Pull the plugs first.

I've seen a car that was idling when it rolled down a boat ramp into the water.  The person that bought it, did what I described above and when he tried to start it with fresh gas and fluid, it fired right up and shot a 10' stream of water out the tail pipe!  Ran fine.  No idea what longevity was on that car, but it was pretty amazing to watch.
Matte Black 2015 Super Tenere
Rumbux Adventure Products Importer
Eval Innovations Inc.

Offline csv

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 02:04:12 pm »
Thanks all.
I have done the fluids swap, plugs and filter. The bike ran but now with a lot of knocking.... it's not pretty. There actually was very little water ingested (but enough). I hit the kill switch before even reaching the bottom of the "puddle" (pit actually). Problem is, it was in clay.
I saw the one in UK last nigh but can no longer find it.... If anyone has links, I'd appreciate them.
Thanks,
Chris,
2013 Tenere
2004 BMW R1150rt

Offline ~TABASCO~

• RIDE ON ADV is what I do !
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 04:05:47 pm »
You can probably fix that motor. Are you able to post a few pictures of the condition it's in? Down the plug holes, down behind the throttle bodies?   I would offer to help fix it for ya but your a bit of a drive.  Lol.   I'm sorry, I don't know of a motor that has not already been screwed up. 
Lowering Links & Rising Links shipping now !

Shipping HEIDENAU'S... In stock

www.rideonadv.com
2012 Super Tenere - 1"bar riser - motoX grips - ECUnleashed flash - Barnett clutch pressure plate - UNI filter - Air box mod - Akrapovic custom muffler - Arrow headers - PCV&AT - Ohlins suspension front & rear - Trailtech Voyager - Steel braded lines on everything - Ride On skid plate - Carbon fork guards - rear disc gard - rear res guard - WC turn signals - WC headlight guard - ADV tires - WC/ride on graphics - sync TB - Baja Squadrons & S2 - custom dash LED's - Custom light harness - Ride On custom light switch - Keyless gas cap

Offline Stridey

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 04:24:29 pm »
Thanks all.
I have done the fluids swap, plugs and filter. The bike ran but now with a lot of knocking.... it's not pretty. There actually was very little water ingested (but enough). I hit the kill switch before even reaching the bottom of the "puddle" (pit actually). Problem is, it was in clay.
I saw the one in UK last nigh but can no longer find it.... If anyone has links, I'd appreciate them.
Thanks,
Chris,
I saw that engine on EBay UK as I was looking for something else.
Use this item number and use eBay to search.  322627686407
If you need help at all with this uk based engine I have a mate who runs a courier company based in London Heathrow so maybe he can collect and air freight ship it for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stridey

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 12:14:37 pm »
Blimey! There's another one on eBay uk. See item number 122522771996
It's from a '15 and with 4000 miles!

Offline csv

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 04:59:53 pm »
Thanks Stridey! I am awaiting the results of an exploratory mission to see if it is salvageable. The 15 is the way I'll go if its available and I need it.
Peace.
Chris
2013 Tenere
2004 BMW R1150rt

Offline Stridey

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 07:17:33 am »
No problem. Happy to help a fellow S10 rider.
Yes makes sense.  Also this '15 engine comes with clutch slave cylinder and starter motor from what I've seen and will be latest spec too.
If you go down the new engine route let me know and I'll put you in touch with him. Not sure for certain he can help as they are a courier freight agent but he will have contacts I'm sure. Hope you sort out the engine. 

Offline csv

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 02:36:41 pm »
Thanks again. Fedex wants $2700 CAD from a quick quote on they're website..... 
2013 Tenere
2004 BMW R1150rt

Offline Buelligan

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 04:24:56 pm »
try Uship, 
it can be strapped to a wooden pallet and shipped through them for about $400 USD.
Guns and parachutes: If you ever need one and don't have it, you will never need one again.
USMC retired