Author Topic: Motorcyclists "are you kidding me?"  (Read 1144 times)

Offline yoyo

Re: Motorcyclists "are you kidding me?"
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 04:38:49 pm »
I've done a bit of advanced training and it's surprising what it opens your eyes to, you get to see things far in advance  of something happening but it seems many bikers appear to ride either with their eyes closed or looking 6 foot in front of the bike. It's a known fact that many car drivers don't see us, even when we have extra lights and hi viz on and we need to ride our bikes with that in mind, when idiots choose not to ride defensively they blame the cadger for trying to kill us when all that was needed was a bit of observation on our part. You are quite correct that many jump on the band wagon and defend the biker (I've got Facebook friends who continually do it), I often feel for the driver who makes a small error but get total abuse from a biker when in fact nothing happened other than there's a bit more footage for YouTube. There's a guy I won't name on the Strom forum who  produces videos or poor driving but you can see he goes looking for trouble, he puts himself in positions where he confuses drivers then gives them a pile of abuse while pointing at the camera on his helmet the whole time. Some people shouldn't be allowed to have bikes.

Offline Nissbird

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2017, 02:26:49 pm »
 ::026::
Yes I've seen one or two of those videos you mention, he really is a knob, he does not do the biking fraternity any favours

Offline Terminus

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 08:36:21 am »
@ Terminus  getting back to your lane splitting question, I did it for about 5 years of solid commuting right in the belly of the beast (LA/OC).  I saw plenty of squidly behavior, but at the same time, most cagers would keep to their lane position, and getting past was easy.  Every now and then, you would get one that would crowd you out; in that case I would usually have to stop until traffic started moving again, and then would eventually get by anyway.  Lane splitting made commuting so much better that the occasional negative encounter was much easier to deal with, and I always arrived at my destination in a much better mood than when I was stuck in a cage.

That sounds like what I thought the law's intention was.  Lane split when safe and there is space.  But you can't demand the sea of cars to part for you like you are Moses or something....  ;D
Red 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere (non-es)

Offline AVGeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2017, 11:14:41 am »
That sounds like what I thought the law's intention was.  Lane split when safe and there is space.  But you can't demand the sea of cars to part for you like you are Moses or something....  ;D

Exactly...although mentioning Moses reminded me of a time I wound up splitting behind an LA County Sheriff motor officer...it was like the parting of the Red Sea!
IBA# 54462

Offline greg the pole

• There are no stupid questions, only stupid people
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 12:26:43 pm »
Exactly...although mentioning Moses reminded me of a time I wound up splitting behind an LA County Sheriff motor officer...it was like the parting of the Red Sea!
The few times I made the trip to Cali (4 and hopefully counting) I lane split every single time.  I felt a lot better splitting than sitting in traffic, you got away from the lights much faster, and IMO away from potential danger. 
Why it's not legal everywhere else boggles the mind.
BTW..95% gave room every single time, except for the ones not paying attention, or the spiteful haters..

here's a rear facing POV through SF rush hour traffic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dekire1rsDI&list=UUzSJeqjKkwDjhSJlT5T4hfQ&index=54
It's hard to soar like an eagle, when you're surrounded by turkeys

Bikes current:
2012 ST1200 Do it all..with a couple of mods.
2015 FJ09 Comfortable hooligan
2014 KTM 300 XC Smoker.  Ring a ding ding
...ya owned a few ...FZ07, FZ09, FZ01 1st Gen, ST1300, KLR's, DR650's, DR400, DL1000, TLS, VFR,CBR..

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 12:43:46 pm »
This kid looks to have gone off the side on Mulholland and if where I believe, many of us have gone through that curve. I was feeling for him.
Right up until he said the problem was the bike's steering!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/video-motorcyclist-survives-250-foot-plunge-off-cliff/
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline Terminus

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 01:12:30 pm »
This kid looks to have gone off the side on Mulholland and if where I believe, many of us have gone through that curve. I was feeling for him.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/video-motorcyclist-survives-250-foot-plunge-off-cliff/

Holy crap!  That dude is incredibly lucky.  By the way, I am not sure I buy "the steering locked up" excuse.  Looks more like target fixation to me....

Offline greg the pole

• There are no stupid questions, only stupid people
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2017, 01:36:28 pm »

A 27 yr old on a FZ-10? 
He's lucky he walked away.
It's hard to soar like an eagle, when you're surrounded by turkeys

Bikes current:
2012 ST1200 Do it all..with a couple of mods.
2015 FJ09 Comfortable hooligan
2014 KTM 300 XC Smoker.  Ring a ding ding
...ya owned a few ...FZ07, FZ09, FZ01 1st Gen, ST1300, KLR's, DR650's, DR400, DL1000, TLS, VFR,CBR..

Offline WJBertrand

• Ventura Highway
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 02:43:03 pm »
Also back on lane splitting, I know it is legal in California to do this now, but that does not give the motorcyclist the right to demand a path and make cars give them room does it?  It seems a lot of them get angry if the cager move over for them.  Maybe I don't understand the law??  Just seems like it is a huge risk on the biker to do this.    ::009::

There are a couple of vehicle code violations that apply to cages, they can be ticketed for deliberately blocking a motorcyclist that is splitting.  I think there are at least two VC violations applicable on the books.
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline Terminus

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2017, 02:48:59 pm »
There are a couple of vehicle code violations that apply to cages, they can be ticketed for deliberately blocking a motorcyclist that is splitting.  I think there are at least two VC violations applicable on the books.

Definitely good to know.  It probably makes a big difference to lane split in an place where it happens so frequently and people are looking out for it and expecting it.  Around here people barely look for what is in front of them much less paying attention to what could be coming up from behind them and alongside them. 

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2017, 03:00:31 pm »
Outside of Cali, DC is (I think) the only other place in the country where lane splitting is not prohibited. There is no law against it and folks will do it.
However, if pulled over, you will be cited for illegal passing, unsignaled passing, reckless operation, etc.
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline Sierra1

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2017, 06:26:15 pm »
It, "lane sharing", goes legal here on September 1.  Even when legal it will not permit silly s**t.  I'm hoping it doesn't get repealed because of stupidity.
In the stable: Me-'17 TENERE ES & '86 FJ 1200; Wife-'01 TW 200; Son 1-'16 R6; Son 2-'14 FJR ES
Out to Pasture: '77 XS 360; '81 SECA 550; '00 KZ 1000P; '04 BMW 1150 RT-P; '11 ST1300PA; '11 KLR

Offline WJBertrand

• Ventura Highway
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2017, 08:45:53 pm »
It, "lane sharing", goes legal here on September 1.  Even when legal it will not permit silly s**t.  I'm hoping it doesn't get repealed because of stupidity.

That's great news!  I hope there's some kind of public awareness campaign. There are still folks in CA that think it's illegal here.
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2017, 09:03:54 pm »

Go Texas!  Congratulations!
Not being able to in the DFW Metromess is a pain!
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline AVGeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2017, 11:21:22 am »

Is that throughout Texas, or just in the perpetually under construction DFW metro area?
IBA# 54462