Author Topic: Airscrew Adjustment to fix off-idle stumble and Throttle Body Sync - w/ pigtails  (Read 145414 times)

Offline snakebitten

I would apologize for derailing this thread, but it would be disingenuous since I have done it SO many times that nobody would believe me.

So first...........
I don't know how often you should sync your throttle bodies. But more than once a new sync resulted in an unexpected  substantial improvement.
Drives me nuts that I didn't sense the gradual degradation.

Blitz, such a nice thing to say. It's all down hill from now though. Too much pressure. :)

Yes, I wear a helmet. In fact, I dress to crash! ATGATT.

Since you enjoyed.........so, My youngest son is a country sheriff deputy. My daughter has pleaded with her little brother to "do something about it James. Give him a ticket or something. That has to be against some law"

I look at her. Then look up at him. (He's a BIG Boy) He hesitates and asks "dad, that thing does have a license plate right?"
I nod with the biggest grin and say "yep! and I have insurance on it too officer. wanna see it?"

Ain't life grand?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 09:46:22 pm by snakebitten »
XT1200Z  TBDBITW  (The Biggest Dirt Bike in The World)
KTM 500 EXC              Dirtiest Street Bike In The World
KTM 950 SE           (The Substitute for the XT700Z that's coming)

Offline blitz11

Life IS grand, and you make it better with every post.  It's good to have THE MAN (and your son) on your side. 

You've raised a fine  family, AND inspired me to double check my carb synch.  I bought a new motion pro tool for my daughter's 1982 suzuki GS650 ($200 craigslist find) a few months back, so i'll use it on the super 10 this weekend.

Thanks for brightening my day. 

Online VRODE

• Easy Does It
I would apologize for derailing this thread, but it would be disingenuous since I have done it SO many times that nobody would believe me.

So first...........
I don't know how often you should sync your throttle bodies. But more than once a new sync resulted in an unexpected  substantial improvement.
Drives me nuts that I didn't sense the gradual degradation.

Blitz, such a nice thing to say. It's all down hill from now though. Too much pressure. :)

Yes, I wear a helmet. In fact, I dress to crash! ATGATT.

Since you enjoyed.........so, My youngest son is a country sheriff deputy. My daughter has pleaded with her little brother to "do something about it James. Give him a ticket or something. That has to be against some law"

I look at her. Then look up at him. (He's a BIG Boy) He hesitates and asks "dad, that thing does have a license plate right?"
I nod with the biggest grin and say "yep! and I have insurance on it too officer. wanna see it?"

Ain't life grand?

Thanks for the sync info!
Being at an age to give your grown kids grief is sweet revenge! Life can be sweet!
2016 ES "Godzilla"

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
All -

Please use the following sticky for TBS on the Gen2 bikes:
http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=17494.msg321110#msg321110

If and when I get a chance, I'll try to move the Gen2 posts from this thread to that one.

Thanks!
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline big dave

A bit of help please.
I did the air screw adjustment and throttle sync last week and was over the moon with the results.
I set out on a 450mile up to the Scottish borders three days since and it was running perfectly, however over the three days it has started to stutter again and has deteriorated to the point where it now stalls at junctions.
Any ideas, can someone point me in the right direction?
Yamaha XT1200z, Beta 4t trials, Yamaha TDM900, Kawasaki KLX300, Yamaha TDM 850 project

I DON'T DO EXERCISE - if God had wanted me to bend over he would have put cake on the floor

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
A bit of help please.
I did the air screw adjustment and throttle sync last week and was over the moon with the results.
I set out on a 450mile up to the Scottish borders three days since and it was running perfectly, however over the three days it has started to stutter again and has deteriorated to the point where it now stalls at junctions.
Any ideas, can someone point me in the right direction?

The caps which plug the throttle body ports can crack or get loose. The description seems to fit so I'd start there.
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline big dave

The caps which plug the throttle body ports can crack or get loose. The description seems to fit so I'd start there.

My first thoughts, but a quick look under the tank on my return home and both look well.
Do the air screws ever move, unlikely I know but I want to eliminate things I may have caused by last week's adjustments
Yamaha XT1200z, Beta 4t trials, Yamaha TDM900, Kawasaki KLX300, Yamaha TDM 850 project

I DON'T DO EXERCISE - if God had wanted me to bend over he would have put cake on the floor

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
My first thoughts, but a quick look under the tank on my return home and both look well.
Do the air screws ever move, unlikely I know but I want to eliminate things I may have caused by last week's adjustments
I've never seen the air screws move on their own.
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline mebgardner

Since the problem started and got worse over a course of days, from what was an acceptable running cycle to begin with (I think that's true, but you don't state it), it's something you did to change it.

It reads like you've got a vacuum leak now. Find That. Look at the things you've touched.
2016 ST, Non-ES, Power Commander PCFC, Seat Concepts, Rox 2" Risers w/ OEM lines, Aux: ADVMonster 44W LEDS and Dimmer, HL: NightEye H7 50W LEDs, Eastern Beaver CS3, Givi TN355 crash bars, Skene Designs Photon Blaster LEDs, Knight Design Wide Hunter lowering pegs, Denali SoundBlaster w/ Twisted Throttle horn mount, SW Motech Evo Side Racks, Saddleman X-Jumbo Cruiser Soft Bags, Hepco Becker Rear Rack, Hepco Becker Junior 45 Rear Top Case, MRA X-creen Tour, OEM reg. shield and bracket, OEM side wind deflectors, RideOn Tire additive, 0.55 in. LED eBay Voltmeter, Battery tender. Hit-Air Airbag Vest, Motoport 3/4 Length 3 Layer Jacket with Quad Armor Upgrade, EVS G6 Mesh Armor (summer), Revit 2 Layer Mesh Pants, A* Corozal Boots, Shoei Hornet X2.

Offline 2daMax

How's the idle speed? Check the left side TB cap. Could be cracked. If the gas tank vent hoses got pinched it will cause the fuel to struggle past the pump.
Current: 2012 Super Tenere - White/Red Speedblocks
Previous:
2011 to 2015 - Kawasaki Versys 650 2011
2010 to 2011 - Kawasaki Ninja 250R 2008