Author Topic: Odometer/Trip reset switch  (Read 20362 times)

Offline foosyerdoos

Re: Odometer/Trip reset switch
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2018, 03:50:15 am »
I contacted Yamaha UK customer services with the same issue. I received the following response but have still to contact a dealer.

Thank you for your email regarding your Super Ténéré and naturally we are sorry to learn of the issue you are having.

In the first instance, we would advise that you contact your nearest authorised Yamaha dealer and arrange for the machine to inspected.

Whilst the warranty on your machine may have expired on the 22/05/2016  we can advise, that we may on occasion be able to offer some 'out of warranty assistance'. Any requests we receive for ‘out of warranty assistance’ are dealt with through our dealer network on a case by case basis, where due consideration is given to the circumstances of the claim, including but not limited to, the age, miles covered, service history and whether there was any previous history of such a problem.

In this instance therefore, we would kindly suggest, that you please establish contact with your nearest authorised Yamaha dealer - https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/dealer-locator/index.aspx#/ - (making them aware of this email). Should the dealer identify a manufacturing defect with the instrument cluster and consider there to be the possibility of 'out of warranty assistance' they will then be in a position to contact our Warranty Department to discuss their findings on your behalf, with regards to a possible discounted/special price, for the required part.

We thank you for your enquiry and hope that our comments may clarify the manner in which we proceed with machines whose warranty has expired and that through our authorised dealer network, this matter may be resolved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Ramseybella

« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2018, 05:41:18 am »
You have to keep hammering the iron till they get tired of you calling, find a dealer that is on the same page as you and get them to hammer the iron with you till Yamaha wakes up. I had to kick and scream on a constant basis i found a crusader of a service manager that went out of his way and woke Yamaha up, next week free of charge Yamaha tech's from California are digging into my Ten and installing a new wiring harness to try to fix the High, low and no idle ghost that has haunted a few generation One Tenere's. You get enough Ten riders along hammering on that iron and things will happen, you just need to herd the Cat's together and make that happen.
The days of Japanese designers and engineers committing Seppuku over faulty engineering are over, these days the lawyers are their samurai's. You just need to be persistent.
"Technology applied for the sake of those who wish to escape it"

Offline SilverBullet

« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2018, 06:23:50 am »

Seems like its mostly uk bikes that failed. Must be at least a dozen of us now and thats just on this forum. SilverBullet..what is an NA display?

NA=North America
Have not heard or read of a single NA display failure. Full extremes of weather conditions here and probably more bikes sold also.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2004 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
2002 KTM 300 EXC

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2018, 12:36:48 pm »
Without doing a search, it seems to me that there've been couple US reports. That said, the UK bikes on average probably see harsher weather and salt more than the typical US one.
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline stutrump

« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2018, 02:20:42 am »
Yes, there are/were a couple of USA ones (i started a list from here a couple of years ago)
Foosyerdoos. I wouldn't waste your time. I tried over and over with Yamaha UK. I had the same response that you've got AND they had the cheek to say that nobody else had reported a similar problem, even though I knew someone from this site (uk rider) that had spoken to them before me.
The best they offered me (as they kind of have to you) was a 50% discount. That still meant I had to pay £350 plus fitting.
I told them to forget it and I'll live with the faulty button. Why did I tell them to forget it. Well...because I was already on my 2nd console. Both had failed so I was unwilling to spend ANYTHING on a unit, which in my eyes would only fail again.
Feel free to pm me if you want to know anymore about the saga.

Offline foosyerdoos

« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2018, 04:35:21 am »
Cheers stutrump - I had convinced myself that I could live with the faulty button but after reading YobtafS10 posting another failure I thought I may as well try for a replacement unit.
I contacted my local Yamaha dealer - Padgetts of Batley (Padgetts Racing Team) - this was the first hurdle as their first statement was that they would want to charge me for inspection and reporting back to Yamaha Customer Services!!. I explained the issues and Yamaha's offer of an out of warranty deal and they said they would go back to Yamaha  and presumably see if Yamaha will cover their costs. Not holding my breath. Mental note to never use this dealership again!!.

Resigned to being a permanent member of the one button club.

I can live without the trip function and disconnecting the battery a couple of times a year to correct the clock - are there any other drawbacks of a faulty button?

Offline stutrump

« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2018, 02:47:37 pm »
Hi foosyerdoos.
If you ever speak to Yamaha UK yourself (as I did several times) it would be great if you ask them if anyone else has repkrted a similar problem because I bet they'll say no.
They told me that no-one else had reported a problem and I've even met a few off this forum that are in the one button club..and reported it to Yamaha.
There is one serious down side to being in the one button club.
You cant do diagnostics!
Mind you..hopefully you wont need too. My bike is on 106,000 miles now and then only thing that has gone wrong has been the ignition coils.

Offline The Ferret

« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2018, 09:36:44 am »
I've probably still got some emails I sent to Yam  UK.
I replaced the ignition coils on mine too .  Standard wear and tear I think at 50k.

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

Offline stutrump

« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2018, 10:02:36 am »
Hi Ferrett. Long time no hear.
Did you buy another S10? I cant remember.

Offline The Ferret

« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2018, 12:20:35 pm »
Hi Stu, no I went for the lighter MT09 Tracer. I much sterner ride. If I start doing more miles I'll be back on the shaft drive.

Offline stutrump

« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2018, 04:12:23 pm »
Okeedokkee. Hope you're enjoying the Tracer! On my second Tenere now. Best wishes!