Author Topic: bye bye ST hello AT  (Read 470 times)

Offline greg the pole

• There are no stupid questions, only stupid people
bye bye ST hello AT
« on: December 06, 2017, 09:20:26 pm »
Well, got busy stripping all the bits of the tenere, loaded it up, and off to the dealer it went.  It was a great six years and 80k km..edit 90k!
On to the next adventure...bike :D
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:05:58 am by greg the pole »
It's hard to soar like an eagle, when you're surrounded by turkeys

Bikes current:
2017 Honda AT slushie
2014 KTM 300 XC Smoker.  Ring a ding ding
...ya owned a few ...2012 XT1200, FJ09, FZ07, FZ09, FZ01 1st Gen, ST1300, KLR's, DR650's, DR400, DL1000, TLS, VFR,CBR..

Offline RonH

Re: bye bye ST hello AT
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 09:59:22 pm »
Looks great. I know you are very picky about the mechanicals working perfectly. Over at ADVrider big thread on front fork problems as early as a few hundred miles on the Africa Twin. Maybe over exagerated, maybe not, hopefully not an issue.  They have had a couple years to rectify the issue if there was one.
2017 Super Tenere 1200ES, 2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing

Offline barkingllizard

• @theparty@theendoftheworld
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 10:11:49 pm »
good luck with that, greg the pole.....
comments with substance will be chastised by soulless pub riders lacking intellect and imagination...
while calling out princess trolls will be met with the monomaniacal pruning shears of snowflake censorship.....

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 07:45:02 am »
Looking good Greg.
Don't be a stranger!
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline terrysig

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 08:20:48 am »
Looks good Greg. Enjoyed your comments for the Tenere.

What's your thoughts on the tubed tires?

In my recent deer hit and totaled S10 I narrowed the new bike down to the S10 ES and the AT. The price definitely came down on the AT side but the ES add-ons kept the S10 in the game. Finally it came down to tubed tires. I absolutely hate changing my dirtbike in the field. With the S10 I carry a pump and have always been able to plug (even a side wall tear) enough to get me to home or help.

Offline greg the pole

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 08:43:54 am »
Looks great. I know you are very picky about the mechanicals working perfectly. Over at ADVrider big thread on front fork problems as early as a few hundred miles on the Africa Twin. Maybe over exagerated, maybe not, hopefully not an issue.  They have had a couple years to rectify the issue if there was one.
I've read about it.  I'll ride it as intended, and see how they fare.  Need be take it back to the dealer for work.
I have a Tractive shock on order for the rear, as the oem shock is just ok.
Will do a full blown review/build over the winter.
Going for a break in ride this weekend, in December in Canada.  Magic.

Bikes current:
2017 Honda AT slushie
...ya owned a few ...2012 XT1200, FJ09, FZ07, FZ09, FZ01 1st Gen, ST1300, KLR's, DR650's, DR400, DL1000, TLS, VFR,CBR..

Offline greg the pole

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 08:46:25 am »
Looks good Greg. Enjoyed your comments for the Tenere.

What's your thoughts on the tubed tires?

In my recent deer hit and totaled S10 I narrowed the new bike down to the S10 ES and the AT. The price definitely came down on the AT side but the ES add-ons kept the S10 in the game. Finally it came down to tubed tires. I absolutely hate changing my dirtbike in the field. With the S10 I carry a pump and have always been able to plug (even a side wall tear) enough to get me to home or help.
tubed tires suuuuuck! I don't use tubes on my 2 stroke.  Outex kit is the anwser (tubless conversion)
The AT is a proper 70/30 off/on road bike.  It shines the shittier it gets.  I had 90k km of super good times on the ST, but with spending more time in the tricker stuff, I went to the AT.
The difference in weight, pushing it around is huge, even to get it on my handy lift, half way up the ramp, you can stop it, and push it up.   With the ST...no way!

Bikes current:
2017 Honda AT slushie

Offline ace50

• 2012 S10
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 08:52:25 am »
Looks like a great swap for the Tenere if you head off-road a lot.  ::001::
Marriage:
My wife said it was like a deck of cards.
At the start, all you need is 2 hearts and a diamond....
Later, you want a club and a spade.

Offline greg the pole

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 10:03:19 am »
Looks like a great swap for the Tenere if you head off-road a lot.  ::001::
Indeed!

Bikes current:
2017 Honda AT slushie

Offline mebgardner

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 10:04:49 am »
Good Luck, Greg. Lookin' Good :)
2016 ST, Non-ES, Power Commander PCFC, Seat Concepts, Rox 2" Risers w/ OEM lines, Aux: ADVMonster 44W LEDS and Dimmer, HL: NightEye H7 50W LEDs, Eastern Beaver CS3, Givi TN355 crash bars, Skene Designs Photon Blaster LEDs, Knight Design Wide Hunter lowering pegs, Denali SoundBlaster w/ Twisted Throttle horn mount, SW Motech Evo Side Racks, Saddleman X-Jumbo Cruiser Soft Bags, Hepco Becker Rear Rack, Hepco Becker Junior 45 Rear Top Case, MRA X-creen Tour, OEM reg. shield and bracket, OEM side wind deflectors, RideOn Tire additive, 0.55 in. LED eBay Voltmeter, Battery tender. Hit-Air Airbag Vest, Motoport 3/4 Length 3 Layer Jacket with Quad Armor Upgrade, EVS G6 Mesh Armor (summer), Revit 2 Layer Mesh Pants, A* Corozal Boots, Shoei Hornet X2.

Offline Xclimation

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 10:06:51 am »
Congrats on the new bike! Not too many things better than the new bike feeling!  Definitely keep up in here. I enjoy reading your posts and the knowledge gained from them!
Definitely looking forward to a review and even comparison.

Did you get the DCT?
2015 Super Tenere Power Commander PCFC, Catless OEM headers, Delkevic slip-on, Uni-filters, Modified Airbox, Altrider Crash bars and skid plate, Flat seat mod. Dash in-fill, Nighteyes LED headlight bulbs, SW motech tank bag, Madstad windshield bracket, Parabellum/Give Airgflow windshield (Using stock windshield mostly) Touratech Headlight guard, Rox Risers, RideonAdv. extended brake/clutch lines

Offline Dogdaze

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 10:09:23 am »
 ::008:: Nice new ride Greg. I see you opted for the standard gearbox, I myself, preferred the DCT, but then I stay on the black stuff.
As I get older, I am no longer surprised at what I know, I'm surprised at how much I don't know.

Offline greg the pole

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 10:21:39 am »
Congrats on the new bike! Not too many things better than the new bike feeling!  Definitely keep up in here. I enjoy reading your posts and the knowledge gained from them!
Definitely looking forward to a review and even comparison.

Did you get the DCT?
Thanks X. 
Will keep them coming.
I'm off road biased, so I'm a clutch kinda guy. 
Even off road, I tried a recluse on a friends 450...hated it.

Bikes current:
2017 Honda AT slushie

Offline greg the pole

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 10:22:31 am »
::008:: Nice new ride Greg. I see you opted for the standard gearbox, I myself, preferred the DCT, but then I stay on the black stuff.
Never tried the DCT.  Tried a fjr with the paddles...meh...
I need the control at low speeds, and for wheelies!  ::018::

Bikes current:
2017 Honda AT slushie

Offline Xclimation

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 10:27:52 am »
Thanks X. 
Will keep them coming.
I'm off road biased, so I'm a clutch kinda guy. 
Even off road, I tried a recluse on a friends 450...hated it.
I'm not necessarily off-road bias but I'm very much clutch biased I guess you can say even my vehicles are manual transmission but at the same time I've heard nothing but good things from people with a DCT but I am worried about muscle memory issues without a clutch and I guess I just like to be in control

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

2015 Super Tenere Power Commander PCFC, Catless OEM headers, Delkevic slip-on, Uni-filters, Modified Airbox, Altrider Crash bars and skid plate, Flat seat mod. Dash in-fill, Nighteyes LED headlight bulbs, SW motech tank bag, Madstad windshield bracket, Parabellum/Give Airgflow windshield (Using stock windshield mostly) Touratech Headlight guard, Rox Risers, RideonAdv. extended brake/clutch lines

testate