Author Topic: Runs fine cold start then really rough when warm - O2 sensor bad?  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Moki

• 2013 Super Tenere
Re: Runs fine cold start then really rough when warm - O2 sensor bad?
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2017, 04:34:10 pm »
Thanks Moki for providing the updates.

Could you elaborate further on the Powerjet controller?  Is it plug and play (fire and forget) or requires mappings and many tunings?

It's plug and play.  Settings are adjusted with a dial and can be switched off entirely without removing. 

Offline 2daMax

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2017, 08:36:56 pm »
Did it run with better fuel economy?  Sorry have to ask, as running 'better' usually means using more fuel.  This device sounds interesting.
Current: 2012 Super Tenere - White/Red Speedblocks
Previous:
2011 to 2015 - Kawasaki Versys 650 2011
2010 to 2011 - Kawasaki Ninja 250R 2008

Offline Moki

• 2013 Super Tenere
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2017, 02:21:40 pm »
Hey, I haven't really paid much attention to any change in fuel economy.  I've been running on the first notch up on the dial - I'm guessing around 2% richer, which obviously means bigger smiles/less miles.  I don't think there's much in it. 

Offline Don in Lodi

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2017, 09:15:58 pm »
Also, FWIW I installed a Procom PowerJet fuel controller and this has really smoothed out the throttle response all over - especially at low revs.  Seems to be dialed-in perfectly now...

The Procom Engineering website that Google found for me doesn't show one for a Tenere, do you recall the part number?
Don in Lodi
2012 Tenere
1997 Royal Star
1984 CB900
1986 XL600
1981 XL185
1969 CT90

"ride what you want, want what you ride"

Offline Moki

• 2013 Super Tenere
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2017, 06:44:24 am »
Hey Don,  it is PE-PJ-008.  Can get them directly from Procom via eBay UK..not sure
 of the availability in the US.  Any problems getting one give me a shout and id be happy to help.

Offline BenSuper10

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2017, 02:40:16 am »
Hi Karl, well done on sorting your bike mate. My bike started giving me trouble yesterday evening coming home from work. I went to work yesterday morning with no problem, started fine yesterday evening as it should and 2 minutes into my journey home it started struggling like I lost a cylinder. I gave it a few high revs and it still struggled. I made my way home on the bike anyway but it would kick in good for a split second every now and then, horrible riding. At traffic lights it died, so I left it until the lights were going to turn and it started but I still had an issue, I kept the revs up so it wouldn't die. When I got about halfway home (after about 15 minutes), it came good and I had no problems all the way back. I let it cool down for about an hour at home and I started it again and it was idling all wrong and reluctant to rev. There wasn't any warning or fault lights on the clocks. I'll check the diagnostic as per previous posts on this thread this evening when I get home from work to see if anything has popped up. Hope it's an easy fix. Gutted because I just put new boots on (Conti - TKC-70's) and they're fantastic. I was hoping for a good ride-out this weekend. Also there's a Toy Run Sunday coming which is great. Hope it's sorted for it.

Offline 2daMax

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2017, 07:56:00 am »
How old is the bike and mileage?

Latest solved issue with this was the Intake Air Pressure sensor hose 'kinked'.  This is the little hose coming off the pressure sensor on the Left side TB.  Check if it is kinked or collapsed diameter.
Current: 2012 Super Tenere - White/Red Speedblocks
Previous:
2011 to 2015 - Kawasaki Versys 650 2011
2010 to 2011 - Kawasaki Ninja 250R 2008

Offline mebgardner

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2017, 12:24:07 pm »
Hi Karl, well done on sorting your bike mate. My bike started giving me trouble yesterday evening coming home from work. I went to work yesterday morning with no problem, started fine yesterday evening as it should and 2 minutes into my journey home it started struggling like I lost a cylinder. I gave it a few high revs and it still struggled. I made my way home on the bike anyway but it would kick in good for a split second every now and then, horrible riding. At traffic lights it died, so I left it until the lights were going to turn and it started but I still had an issue, I kept the revs up so it wouldn't die. When I got about halfway home (after about 15 minutes), it came good and I had no problems all the way back. I let it cool down for about an hour at home and I started it again and it was idling all wrong and reluctant to rev. There wasn't any warning or fault lights on the clocks. I'll check the diagnostic as per previous posts on this thread this evening when I get home from work to see if anything has popped up. Hope it's an easy fix. Gutted because I just put new boots on (Conti - TKC-70's) and they're fantastic. I was hoping for a good ride-out this weekend. Also there's a Toy Run Sunday coming which is great. Hope it's sorted for it.

Did you change anything, or work on anything recently?
2016 ST, Non-ES, Power Commander PCFC, Seat Concepts, Rox 2" Risers w/ OEM lines, Aux: ADVMonster 44W LEDS and Dimmer, HL: NightEye H7 50W LEDs, Eastern Beaver CS3, Givi TN355 crash bars, Skene Designs Photon Blaster LEDs, Knight Design Wide Hunter lowering pegs, Denali SoundBlaster w/ Twisted Throttle horn mount, SW Motech Evo Side Racks, Saddleman X-Jumbo Cruiser Soft Bags, Hepco Becker Rear Rack, Hepco Becker Junior 45 Rear Top Case, MRA X-creen Tour, OEM reg. shield and bracket, OEM side wind deflectors, RideOn Tire additive, 0.55 in. LED eBay Voltmeter, Battery tender. Hit-Air Airbag Vest, Motoport 3/4 Length 3 Layer Jacket with Quad Armor Upgrade, EVS G6 Mesh Armor (summer), Revit 2 Layer Mesh Pants, A* Corozal Boots, Shoei Hornet X2.

Offline BenSuper10

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2017, 12:49:04 pm »
Did you change anything, or work on anything recently?

Hi, no, only the tyres last week. It has been running like a dream for months.

Quick Edit!! Update: I took the advice from EricV in the previous post at the start of the thread about clearing the codes.
I wrote all the dianostic codes down this evening and checked them against the manual and there were a few that were being highlighted, the rest were within spec. I started the bike and the problem was still there.
Codes that were concerning:
d:09 - 11.4 , I might give the battery a good charge to see if it helps, if not, I'll replace it. The battery is the original from new, 2011 89000 km!!
d:61 - 14, 22, 30, 60, 69, 70. These could be from alot of work I did when I got the bike and which I did an overhauling.
d:62 - 6. I reset the diagnostic code and then it read back to 0.

I turned off the ignition and started the bike, it seemed ok. I put the bike in dianostic again and re-checked the codes.
d:09 - 00. This seems fine now, battery might be ok afterall?
d:61 - 00
d:62 - 0

I turned off the igniton and started the bike again and It seems to be idling perfect and running good now. I'll take it for a spin tomorrow night when back from work to see if the problem is gone.

fingers crossed it's ok!!

Sorry for highjacking your thread Moki

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 06:51:58 pm by BenSuper10 »

Online HeliMark

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2017, 07:50:16 pm »
Hi, no, only the tyres last week. It has been running like a dream for months.

Quick Edit!! Update: I took the advice from EricV in the previous post at the start of the thread about clearing the codes.
I wrote all the dianostic codes down this evening and checked them against the manual and there were a few that were being highlighted, the rest were within spec. I started the bike and the problem was still there.
Codes that were concerning:
d:09 - 11.4 , I might give the battery a good charge to see if it helps, if not, I'll replace it. The battery is the original from new, 2011 89000 km!!
d:61 - 14, 22, 30, 60, 69, 70. These could be from alot of work I did when I got the bike and which I did an overhauling.
d:62 - 6. I reset the diagnostic code and then it read back to 0.

I turned off the ignition and started the bike, it seemed ok. I put the bike in dianostic again and re-checked the codes.
d:09 - 00. This seems fine now, battery might be ok afterall?
d:61 - 00
d:62 - 0

I turned off the igniton and started the bike again and It seems to be idling perfect and running good now. I'll take it for a spin tomorrow night when back from work to see if the problem is gone.

fingers crossed it's ok!!

Sorry for highjacking your thread Moki

I would put a new battery in. This bike does wacky things when you have a weak battery in it. And having the same battery since 2011 is impressive.

Many problems have been solved with a new battery on this bike.

Mark
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:53:25 pm by HeliMark »
2013 S10

Offline BenSuper10

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2017, 04:27:25 am »
I would put a new battery in. This bike does wacky things when you have a weak battery in it. And having the same battery since 2011 is impressive.

Many problems have been solved with a new battery on this bike.

Mark

Yes, I think this is the best option. If all else fails, at least there will be a new battery in the bike!! Thanks

Offline Moki

• 2013 Super Tenere
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2017, 08:35:17 am »
Hey Ben,  I have a near new lithium spare battery if you're keen to pop out this way (Youghal).  Happy to lend it until you get sorted. Last weekend I was at Halfords /Mahon Point and they had a couple Yuasa batteries that fit (XTZ12s) on the shelf.

Let me know - txt 085 1344393

Cheers - Karl