Author Topic: brake pads  (Read 3103 times)

Offline Sierra1

Re: brake pads
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2017, 01:27:52 pm »
I give up.  I am not for or against OE or AM.  I AM SAYING THAT THE PADS AND ROTORS MUST BE COMPATIBLE.  You can use semi-metallic pads, and not see any extra wear on your rotor if your using the correct rotor.  Rotors that are combined with ceramic pads, will not stand up to semi-metallic.  I know this because I used to think that pads are pads; not so.

And yes, I do think that a bike with a 16k, or 15k, red line IS an engineering marvel.  The Honda with the 20k redline is too.  Actually, ANYTHING that can function at those speeds, and not self-destruct, is an engineering marvel.

I enjoy this forum because most of the members are easygoing and like to BS about bikes.  Some members....not so much.
In the stable: Me-'17 TENERE ES & '86 FJ 1200; Wife-'01 TW 200; Son 1-'16 R6; Son 2-'14 FJR ES
Out to Pasture: '77 XS 360; '81 SECA 550; '00 KZ 1000P; '04 BMW 1150 RT-P; '11 ST1300PA; '11 KLR

Online scott123007

« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2017, 02:26:34 pm »

This may be helpful (off EBC's website :)

Type of Brake Rotor                                                              Best Pad To Use

OEM Stainless Steel                                                              Any
EBC Stainless Steel X, XC or SBD Series                                 Any
EBC Billet Rotor (front or rear)                                               FA Series Organic Pads or Vee/VLD Pads
EBC  (OS and SM Series)                                                      EBC X Series Carbon, R Series Sintered, MXS Series Sintered or EPFA Series Sintered
EBC Stainless Steel Rear Brake Rotors (MD Series)                 Any
EBC Stainless Off Road Series for Moto-X or ATV (MD Series)  Any

Composite lightweight rotors (such as carbon fibre, metal matrix, silicone carbide) DO NOT USE any EBC product on these rotors. Tests have shown rotor damage

Offline TomZ

« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2017, 11:24:06 pm »
In 90K miles on two STs (a 2012 and a 2015) I've gone through 4 sets of EBC HH rear pads and 2 rotors. Rear brakes seem to wear quickly for me on the ST, but the fronts have never worn out.  With the HH sintered pads, the rotors show grooving and develop a wear lip after just a few K miles. Unlike the fronts, the rear caliper on the ST does not completely relax with the brakes not applied, and the pads drag a little.  This seems worse with the HH pads because the sintered pad material is fairly porous and tends to pull out in spots, leaving abrasive material between the pads and rotor.  To reduce the drag, I occasionally take off the caliper, clean it and re-lube the guides and piston.

Both rotor replacements resulted from wearing completely through a brake pad without realizing it and damaging the rotor. Fortunately the OEM rotors are not very expensive and are easy to replace. When I first rode the Tenere I used the rear brake excessively and also experimented with trail braking. Now I use mostly engine braking.

The latest failure occurred after riding steep unpaved roads where I was using the rear brake a lot.  As the attached pictures show, the right-side pad has been bent by the piston and almost completely worn through. Most of the left pad is still intact but lot of the sintered material has fallen out. The stainless steel brake piston was also discolored by heating and the outer seal on the caliper was badly deteriorated. Also, the right side of the rotor was glazed and heavily scored.  I'm not sure how all this happened, but possibly dirt jammed the caliper guides and prevented the right side pad from sliding. 

I installed new OEM caliper seals with the grease that came with them, new piston, guides and heat shields. The rotor still useable and cleaned up with wet-or-dry sandpaper.  I also installed OEM brake pads and intend to do so in future because I don't like the way the HH sintered pads lose material.  With the OEM pads, the rotor wear is now smooth as it should be.

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2017, 07:44:14 am »
The rear pads do wear faster on the Tenere and the rotor is known to groove, while the fronts go on forever.
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline Sierra1

« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2017, 03:00:45 pm »
This isn't a brake PAD question,  (::002::), but a brake LINE question.  I am surprised that nobody seems to change their rubber lines for braided lines.  I use them on my 'ol FJ, and can feel the difference.  I did locate a comment here that claims that ABS nullifies the braided line advantage.  I don't understand that.  ABS doesn't effect braking input; until there's too much input.  Has anybody made the switch?  And if so, could you feel a difference?
In the stable: Me-'17 TENERE ES & '86 FJ 1200; Wife-'01 TW 200; Son 1-'16 R6; Son 2-'14 FJR ES
Out to Pasture: '77 XS 360; '81 SECA 550; '00 KZ 1000P; '04 BMW 1150 RT-P; '11 ST1300PA; '11 KLR

Offline Commuter Boy

« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2017, 03:48:44 pm »
I replaced the rear pads early on my 2015: at 25,000 km they were down to a quarter of their thickness of the replacement set.

That being said, I've kept the old pads with a bit of meat on them, just in case the replacements wear down quickly, I'll have something to swap in before I start grinding the rotors down.