Author Topic: Sena 30K My Review  (Read 355 times)

Offline Fennellg

Sena 30K My Review
« on: June 12, 2018, 01:09:33 pm »
I finally Purchased a Sena 30K!!!

My goal was to have my music louder.  I also wanted to be able to talk to some of my group on our yearly trips.   

First the setup.   Simple.  I read and YouTubed  a bunch of reviews and how to videos.  My take away.  Update the firmware before you do anything, and all will be good.  Sound advice, worked like a charm.  Pairing the units was as simple as turning them on.  Instant communication.  They worked, nice.  Now for my phone and music.  My research paid off again.  I paired my phone to my GPS  (GARMIN 595), then my GPS to my Sena 30k.  Now I could take calls, and listen to music.  I also had the ability to listen to my mp3s on my Garmin or use my phone and listen to Pandora or my phone's mp3s.   

The Sena has mesh.  Did not get the chance to try it.  One of my riding buddies got a Built helmet with a Blue Tooth Sena built in.  It paired and we could communicate. No problems.  We quickly discovered that wen you put you music on we were no longer linked.  All you have to do is press the jog dial in.  Its like a doorbell. Beep beep the other guy press this jog dial in and you are talking.  I love this.  I rode with a Guy who had S10 Sena s.  Insisted I use one of his when we road.  He was such a Chatty Cathy, I found I could not enjoy the ride.  Scared for life, wanted no part of there things.  But I needed loader music.  The music can now get too loud and the doorbell feature kept the chit chat to a min. 

We used it for gas breaks, putting on rain gear, and bird dogging in turns.   (When you need to pass a truck or slow poke, you are the eyes for those in the  group who no longer have a clear line of sight.)

Over all I am pleased as punch with the 30k.  Battery life was great.  It never ran out.  Used it for up 12 hours and only drained it half way.   The thing charges fast as hell.   They have worked the kinks out, it works great.  Its a shame they have developed the same attitude as Garmin.  Beta testing units on the general population.  That is why you need to take note when reading reviews of the date.

Offline Rambler

• Posh:Goondas
Re: Sena 30K My Review
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 04:10:38 pm »

Happy bunny here too. Although have not been able to test the mesh and intercom as yet.

Spot on with the firmware and pairing.

If anyone's interested in buying the single or dual pack - I would highly recommend Black Hills Moto, SD Email him and request a good price and he'll work with you.
Rambler
SuperT ADV Training Weekend
2017 ES | IBA# 58774 | Blog: PoshGoondas | Instagram: IG1 & IG2 | YouTube: YT1
Previous wheels: 2009 FJR 1300AE | 2010 Triumph Speedmaster

Offline Xclimation

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 06:32:20 am »
I have a pair of the Sena 20s and love it!  I too got it primarily for music. I was opposed to these devices for the longest time because part of my motivation for riding is to get away and just live inside my head. But....I find it useful for occasional phone calls and have no problem telling whoever I'm talking to that I need to hang up because of distraction. People I talk to are amazed at the sound quality and don't realize I'm on a motorcycle. Recently took a 260 mile ride with a passenger and my other 20s was on their helmet. Very useful safety-wise because I could let the passenger know to hang on at times needed. When I rode the Dragon with my son..VERY useful especially when we got stuck in a torrential downpour on the Blue Ridge parkway!  Only hard time I had was when my son would make it so his music came through my headset in his futile attempt to get me to like the music from a rapper named "Kendrick Lamar."
2015 Super Tenere Power Commander PCFC, Catless OEM headers, Delkevic slip-on, Uni-filters, Modified Airbox, Altrider Crash bars and skid plate, Flat seat mod. Dash in-fill, Nighteyes LED headlight bulbs, SW motech tank bag, Madstad windshield bracket, Parabellum/Give Airgflow windshield (Using stock windshield mostly) Touratech Headlight guard, Rox Risers, RideonAdv. extended brake/clutch lines

Offline Riteris

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 07:18:53 am »
Very interesting.

Others have not responded so favorably: https://support.sena.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360000709866-Sena-30K-Software-inclusive-a-FLOP

That makes me want to delay purchase of a bluetooth headset once again.
Cheers,

Chris

Offline Fennellg

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 11:24:06 am »
Come on in the water is safe.

Offline Riteris

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 12:38:25 pm »
I am not ready to spend that sort of money on something with so many bad reviews.

If it were my company, I would personally address each one of those people that complained and make sure they are happy.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline Fennellg

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 03:06:55 pm »
I understand.  Garmin was the same 550 zumo till  now 595. Waited till I started to hear the kinks had been worked out then took the plunge.  Nothing is ever without risk.  Look at what we do. Ride motorcycles. ::021::

Offline Riteris

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 03:15:55 pm »
Yes, but one needs due diligence.

There is a reason I don’t own a Ural. I would be reluctant to buy one because of what I read about them from people that have spent their money on one.

I would prefer to ride my motorcycle rather than dick around with a questionable (and not inexpensive ) piece of equipment.

Don’t get me wrong. I am happy you found something that works for you. I also appreciate that you took the time to provide your thoughts.

I think I will wait before going for this device.
Cheers,

Chris

Offline RicoChet

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 08:28:22 am »
I personally have a Sena SMH10. Its an incredible device. I've had it for almost 6 years and its worked flawlessly in every way. I've always kind of looked at the newer models but with newer and more features, comes new problems... Sometimes simplicity is the best.
Current Bike: 2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES & 2012 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Offline Fennellg

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 08:36:31 am »
That's great longevity.  My friends lasted about 3 or four years.  Units still worked the batteries gave way.  Wish these had replaceable batteries.  I have Ryobi 18 volt tools that are 15 years old.  I have upgraded to lithium batteries. 

Offline airmed

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 08:37:10 am »
I'm have the simple but wonderful SMH 5 FM.  I've had it for several years and it's been a great addition to my solo and two up riding.  I don't listen to music via my phone, but rather enjoy the option of having an FM receiver.  All the functions are easy to use, and as of now, I don't plan on upgrading.  I just bought a Shoei Neotec, so I'll have to transfer everything over.  The only different item I'll have to get used to is the mic boom instead of the wire loom mic.
2014 ES

Offline treybrad

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 01:14:12 pm »
I personally have a Sena SMH10. Its an incredible device. I've had it for almost 6 years and its worked flawlessly in every way. I've always kind of looked at the newer models but with newer and more features, comes new problems... Sometimes simplicity is the best.

+1 on the SMH10 being a good one. I had mine for 5 years and at least 50k miles of use in all kinds of conditions -- never skipped a beat and the battery would still last 8+ hours. Only slight issue was the jog dial starting to be finicky about turning the volume up/down.

I replaced it with a 20S when I replaced my helmet to gain FM reception, a little better battery life, and hopefully a little more volume. I got the first two features, but I can't tell much of a difference in sound quality or volume with the 20S compared to the 10. If anything I think they made it worse by trying to increase the bass performance and it distorts a little sooner on the 20S.

trey
2017 Yamaha Super Tenere