Author Topic: Goodbye my Tenere...  (Read 900 times)

Offline dietDrThunder

• Why so serious, son?
Re: Goodbye my Tenere...
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 10:03:37 am »
and again , so very glad you were not hurt worse..... what gear were you wearing ? and no farmer claimed the errant bovine(s) I am sure......

No, haven't located the farmer yet.

I was wearing a Shoei Neotec lid, Klim Latitude pants and jacket with the 3DO armor, Sidi Deep rain boots, and Bilt Trophy gloves. Of note here is that in the past I've been the first person to call out Cycle Gear for their shitty Bilt and Sedici gear, but it has been improving. I saw these gloves last year and they had everything I wanted in a hot weather glove, which pretty much boiled down to all heavy-duty protection, but in a shorty. Bonus: hi-viz. Double bonus: they appeared to be very substantial. Triple bonus: they were on sale for $28. Want to know how they performed during my 150 foot pavement-and-shoulder trip?

I ordered a replacement pair immediately when I got home. Same model, same color. The hard knuckle protector on the right hand was smashed flat across its top, with substantial evidence of abrasion, along with about 20% of the leather all over; palm, right index and middle finger, etc. No breaches in any spot, and no injury in any way to my hand.

Some of the stuff is still crap, but I will endorse this model of glove after my impromptu crash test.
Dave in Nashville
IBA #64795
WERA Expert #13, retired
DoD #11011

Offline twinrider

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 10:08:42 am »
Sorry to hear this but good you came out relatively well.

Is it hard to swap a frame?

Offline dietDrThunder

• Why so serious, son?
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 11:21:08 am »

Thanks.

It's not hard technically, but it is a great deal of work that I don't have the time or inclination to do.
Dave in Nashville
IBA #64795
WERA Expert #13, retired
DoD #11011

Offline Thrasherg

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 12:03:13 pm »

The trouble is you need new forks, wheel, frame, bodywork, you have to jump through a lot of hoops if the new frame came with a VIN number, or you have to get your old VIN number stamped into the new frame, the value drops drastically if you try to sell it later on (due to it having a salvage title) , etc.. In general if you have a lot of time and don't want to sell the bike in the future it's worth doing the swap, but otherwise, take the insurance money and buy something else.. You always find far more damaged parts than you expect as you start to strip the bike down to swap the frame.

Gary

Offline mebgardner

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 12:26:46 pm »
and again , so very glad you were not hurt worse..... what gear were you wearing ? and no farmer claimed the errant bovine(s) I am sure......

The owner is not that farmer's house, in the picture, behind the cycle? No one came out to help you, huh?  You did say "rural".

I suppose they did not want the "fault" burden, I dunno. I'll bet they will miss the money the cow was supposed to supply (No Insurance Money For Them).
2016 ST, Non-ES, Power Commander PCFC, Seat Concepts, Rox 2" Risers w/ OEM lines, Aux: ADVMonster 44W LEDS and Dimmer, HL: NightEye H7 50W LEDs, Eastern Beaver CS3, Givi TN355 crash bars, Skene Designs Photon Blaster LEDs, Knight Design Wide Hunter lowering pegs, Denali SoundBlaster w/ Twisted Throttle horn mount, SW Motech Evo Side Racks, Saddleman X-Jumbo Cruiser Soft Bags, Hepco Becker Rear Rack, Hepco Becker Junior 45 Rear Top Case, MRA X-creen Tour, OEM reg. shield and bracket, OEM side wind deflectors, RideOn Tire additive, 0.55 in. LED eBay Voltmeter, Battery tender. Hit-Air Airbag Vest, Motoport 3/4 Length 3 Layer Jacket with Quad Armor Upgrade, EVS G6 Mesh Armor (summer), Revit 2 Layer Mesh Pants, A* Corozal Boots, Shoei Hornet X2, Garmin Zumo 550 GPS.

Offline dietDrThunder

• Why so serious, son?
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 03:28:54 pm »
The owner is not that farmer's house, in the picture, behind the cycle? No one came out to help you, huh?  You did say "rural".

I suppose they did not want the "fault" burden, I dunno. I'll bet they will miss the money the cow was supposed to supply (No Insurance Money For Them).

There is no cow pasture adjacent to the crash site. The picture is in the tow yard. 25 miles away.
Dave in Nashville
IBA #64795
WERA Expert #13, retired
DoD #11011

Offline Madhatter

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 06:20:41 am »
cows travel.....

Offline Fennellg

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 08:29:12 am »
I went out west on a big trip last year. In Utah and other states, they have something called free range / grange or something. Bottom line no fences. Cows are left to wonder and they like the road.  You can be 60 mph or more only to come up on a herd of cows. It was a real education. 

Offline skoron

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2018, 11:48:10 am »
Would be very interested in hearing your comments on the Trophy when you have some seat time.  I am thinking of replacing my BCR with a comfy high speed touring mount.  Short list is FJR, Trophy or maybe an older RT (oil head, hex head or cam head depending on funds).

I had three Tigers in the past (855 and 885) and love the Triple.  But the Trophy is a big girl but she sure can dance!

Skoron

Offline patrickg450

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2018, 04:48:07 pm »
I am glad you are ok, where is the bike.......interested in the abs unit.
2012 Super Owner

every man dies, not every man lives

Offline AdvToorer

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2018, 06:23:48 pm »
Holy cow!   Glad you are ok.
Sounds like a BS story to me!  :D Hope you get a full recovery.

Offline bruinTENEREguy

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2018, 06:42:07 pm »
I ordered a replacement pair immediately when I got home. Same model, same color. The hard knuckle protector on the right hand was smashed flat across its top, with substantial evidence of abrasion, along with about 20% of the leather all over; palm, right index and middle finger, etc. No breaches in any spot, and no injury in any way to my hand.

Hit a cow. Totaled a bike. In the hospital for a couple days with "nasty leg injury." Promptly orders replacement gloves. LOL! That's the spirit!

Thanks for the feedback. I have enough of their stuff. I agree, most of it is crap. I need some new cool weather gear. I have serious concerns about this Sidici "Arturo" suit I have.

Glad you weren't seriously injured. Sorry about your bike. Hopefully the check they cut was good and fat!

Offline Ramseybella

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2018, 02:57:40 pm »
I got curbed yesterday at an intersection turn lane.
Let off the clutch a little to quick, stalled started it up and this jumpy the gun clown whips around me as I'm turning runs me along the curb and his SUV.
Hit the ground goodby side LED's and crashed my left elbow into the curb, it looked like Popeye last night.
Ice packs and a six pack, today it's much better no broken bones.
Funny at least 15 cars around and no one got his tag? :mad:
Anyway nothing as dramatic as you're dealing with and hope all is healing.
Pete
"Technology applied for the sake of those who wish to escape it"

Offline dietDrThunder

• Why so serious, son?
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2018, 12:30:58 pm »
I am glad you are ok, where is the bike.......interested in the abs unit.

Long gone to insurance company heaven.
Dave in Nashville
IBA #64795
WERA Expert #13, retired
DoD #11011

Offline twinrider

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2018, 07:59:18 pm »
I got curbed yesterday at an intersection turn lane.
Let off the clutch a little to quick, stalled started it up and this jumpy the gun clown whips around me as I'm turning runs me along the curb and his SUV.
Hit the ground goodby side LED's and crashed my left elbow into the curb, it looked like Popeye last night.
Ice packs and a six pack, today it's much better no broken bones.
Funny at least 15 cars around and no one got his tag? :mad:
Anyway nothing as dramatic as you're dealing with and hope all is healing.
Pete

Too many idiot drivers out there, I'm putting a dash cam on my S10.