Author Topic: Ruined my wheel bearing spacer.  (Read 424 times)

Offline gv550

Ruined my wheel bearing spacer.
« on: May 18, 2018, 03:38:59 pm »
I made a bonehead mistake, after installing a new Mitas Dakar on my front wheel I reassembled the front wheel axle, spacers, ABS sensor and brake calipers all loosely then looked up the torque values. As I was tightening the front axle I thought it felt like too much torque, just then I heard a ping noise. I loosened the axle to take it apart to investigate but couldn't pull the axle out. I sat back to gather my thoughts and reread the manual, I used rear axle torque (125 nm) instead of the correct 72 nm.  :-[
It took a lot of pulling and twisting (but no hammering) to remove the axle, so I now have the wheel off to see things more clearly. The axle goes in to either bearing easily but stops when it gets to the spacer from either end. Obviously, I compressed the assembly to the point of mushrooming the ends of the spacer, and I suspect the ping sound was a bearing race cracking. I've ordered new bearings, seals and spacer, and the spacer is B/O.
The spacer appears to be jammed tight, I can't slide it sideways enough to get a long punch on the bearing to remove them. So I ordered an expanding collar bearing extractor from Amazon, should be here next week.
I welcome suggestions.
Garry

2016 Super Tenere ...fast Yellow....
*Givi engine guards, skid plate and XS308 tank bag.
*Oxford heated grips with Grab-on wrap.
*Yamaha panniers and top box.
*Yamaha tall shield and side deflectors.
*Zumo 395 with TPMS
*Mitas E07 tires
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager

Offline Brick

Re: Ruined my wheel bearing spacer.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 03:48:47 pm »
Whoa! I got nothing but want to watch this thread to see how it all turns out. I want to wish you the best!
I pulled a real bone head move on my FJ09... but that’s for that other forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'14 ES Yamaha Super Tenere'
'99 SV-650
'15 FJ-09
Wanna see where I'm riding?
http://tinyurl.com/3a343vx
www.ridemsta.com

Offline OldRider

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 07:30:59 pm »
Slide the spacer on the axle and push it in from the right against the bearing and give it a whack with a hammer. Sometimes a blow like that will jar the bearings apart a few thousands, just enough to give the inner spacer a little play.

Offline RonH

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 08:17:54 pm »
Hard to imagine things made that fragile in the bearings and spacer. You're sure the spacer is not just clamped not centered 100% between the bearings? If that spacer mushroomed I would think a heck of a lot of effort would be required, more than 30-50% over torquing.
2017 Super Tenere 1200ES, 2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing

Offline magic

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 08:23:16 pm »
You don't have any choice, except to replace everything. I think I would replace the axle also. Check the threads in the fork leg too. Good luck

Offline OldRider

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 08:55:06 pm »
When you go back together with it, hide the torque wrench and just get it tight, not to tight, just tight.

Offline gv550

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 10:11:08 pm »
Hard to imagine things made that fragile in the bearings and spacer. You're sure the spacer is not just clamped not centered 100% between the bearings? If that spacer mushroomed I would think a heck of a lot of effort would be required, more than 30-50% over torquing.
Slide the spacer on the axle and push it in from the right against the bearing and give it a whack with a hammer. Sometimes a blow like that will jar the bearings apart a few thousands, just enough to give the inner spacer a little play.

I went for an evening ride on my Kawasaki to try clear my head, and came home to read the replies.
Oldrider, I did what you suggested and....... the axle came back out freely. The inner spacer is now free to move around inside the wheel and I slid it aside and used a long punch to knock the bearings out. Wow, big relief!
So RonH is correct, the spacer must have been cocked or not centered between the bearings. With everything apart the inner spacer now slides and rotates freely on the axle and there is no visible damage to the ends. The spacer measures 85 mm long and the ends are smooth and round. Also no visible damage to the bearings, but they won't be reused due to me hitting the inner races with a punch.
Thanks for all the replies, I will sleep good tonight. And I will soon have a really nice bearing extractor kit to add to my tool collection!
This place rocks... ::003::
Garry

2016 Super Tenere ...fast Yellow....
*Givi engine guards, skid plate and XS308 tank bag.
*Oxford heated grips with Grab-on wrap.
*Yamaha panniers and top box.
*Yamaha tall shield and side deflectors.
*Zumo 395 with TPMS
*Mitas E07 tires
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager

Offline OldRider

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 04:52:14 pm »
I went for an evening ride on my Kawasaki to try clear my head, and came home to read the replies.
Oldrider, I did what you suggested and....... the axle came back out freely. The inner spacer is now free to move around inside the wheel and I slid it aside and used a long punch to knock the bearings out. Wow, big relief!
 ::003::

Yep, that's an old trick to get a little play with the spacer. Sounds a little screwy until you try it and it works.

Offline Bigbore4

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 02:44:50 pm »
I don't suppose you measured the spacer while it was apart? They are easy to fabricate if you have dimensions.  I had a rear bearing fail a couple years back while out on a ride.   Spacer was damaged and none were available.  Yamaha Customer Service authorized cannibalizing a bike n the show floor to get me going.

Next time I have to do bearings while in my shop I plan to measure and document dimensions for both spacers.  Just in case!
Dave
IBA# 45134

2012 Raven XT1200Z on the way, er XTZ12B picked up 7-29-11
2005 FJR
SRX6

Offline mebgardner

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 05:24:08 pm »
Yep, this place rocks! That's for sure! Best Forum Ever!
2016 ST, Non-ES, Power Commander PCFC, Seat Concepts, Rox 2" Risers w/ OEM lines, Aux: ADVMonster 44W LEDS and Dimmer, HL: NightEye H7 50W LEDs, Eastern Beaver CS3, Givi TN355 crash bars, Skene Designs Photon Blaster LEDs, Knight Design Wide Hunter lowering pegs, Denali SoundBlaster w/ Twisted Throttle horn mount, SW Motech Evo Side Racks, Saddleman X-Jumbo Cruiser Soft Bags, Hepco Becker Rear Rack, Hepco Becker Junior 45 Rear Top Case, MRA X-creen Tour, OEM reg. shield and bracket, OEM side wind deflectors, RideOn Tire additive, 0.55 in. LED eBay Voltmeter, Battery tender. Hit-Air Airbag Vest, Motoport 3/4 Length 3 Layer Jacket with Quad Armor Upgrade, EVS G6 Mesh Armor (summer), Revit 2 Layer Mesh Pants, A* Corozal Boots, Shoei Hornet X2, Garmin Zumo 550 GPS.

Offline limey

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 10:39:35 pm »
I’d be replacing the axel if you’ve over torqued it. It’s around $50