Author Topic: Breaking in time longer that one may think.  (Read 1258 times)

Offline Ramseybella

Re: Breaking in time longer that one may think.
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 07:40:34 pm »
I am definitely familiar with the Pecos canyon area.  Back in around '97 through about 2001 I spent many of hours patrolling the area when I was da popo.  We were contracted by the USFS to provide additional patrol of the campgrounds in the canyon from Pecos all the way to Cowels. Easy and fun overtime!   Definitely beautiful country.  I only camped up there once.  I have never actually ridden a motorcycle up there.   I have spent a lot of time riding (pavement only)  in the Alamogordo, Cloudcroft, and Ruidoso area, never any camping though.  I'm not familiar with Oliver Lee SP.  I'll have to check that out.
That road from apachee lake to Cloudcroft is a wide open throttle paradise... When i had my triumph 1050 tiger i would just get off the chain nuts on that run. Oliver Lee is 12 miles on the left outside Alamogordo heading to El Paso. $10.00 clean camps with shelters and showers.
Very relaxing environment up along the Mesa.
"Technology applied for the sake of those who wish to escape it"

Offline Velvet

• El lobo solitario
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 12:25:00 pm »
That road from apachee lake to Cloudcroft is a wide open throttle paradise... When i had my triumph 1050 tiger i would just get off the chain nuts on that run. Oliver Lee is 12 miles on the left outside Alamogordo heading to El Paso. $10.00 clean camps with shelters and showers.
Very relaxing environment up along the Mesa.

Ok, Oliver Lee SP is ringing somewhat of a bell.  I have only been on US54 between Alamogordo and Oro Grande maybe twice.  South of Oro Grande to the state line on US54, a sh*t ton of times.  I'm not sure of which roadway around Cloudcroft you are referring as I am not familiar with Apachee Lake.  I have ridden on just about every road around Cloudcroft.  Do you happen to have a roadway name or number?  I have done all of my riding up there on my issue BMW RT (when working the Aspencade Rally) or my personal BMW K13S.

Offline Ramseybella

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 08:27:36 pm »
Ok, Oliver Lee SP is ringing somewhat of a bell.  I have only been on US54 between Alamogordo and Oro Grande maybe twice.  South of Oro Grande to the state line on US54, a sh*t ton of times.  I'm not sure of which roadway around Cloudcroft you are referring as I am not familiar with Apache Lake.  I have ridden on just about every road around Cloudcroft.  Do you happen to have a roadway name or number?  I have done all of my riding up there on my issue BMW RT (when working the Aspencade Rally) or my personal BMW K13S.
70 to 244 before or after Mescalero not lake Apache depending on what direction your going.
244 is the road I'm talking about to Cloudcroft you'll pass the observatory before you come into Cloudcroft..
From Cloudcroft to 70 is the best run as it down hill big sweeper turns.
Roads are well paved in those parts considering the typical chip pavement New Mexico standard crap.
152 to Silver city would be great if it wern't for the chip seal they lay on it.
Deer highway at night..

Offline Velvet

• El lobo solitario
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 11:40:41 am »
70 to 244 before or after Mescalero not lake Apache depending on what direction your going.
244 is the road I'm talking about to Cloudcroft you'll pass the observatory before you come into Cloudcroft..
From Cloudcroft to 70 is the best run as it down hill big sweeper turns.
Roads are well paved in those parts considering the typical chip pavement New Mexico standard crap.
152 to Silver city would be great if it wern't for the chip seal they lay on it.
Deer highway at night..

Though it's been quite a while have been on SR244 at least twice. 

I ride SR152 quite a bit on my KTM SMT.  They have been patch and paving recently.  I never found it to be that bad, but it certainly keeps you looking out for deer (even during the day) as well as sandy areas. 

Offline twinrider

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 10:15:24 am »
Rammseybella , I agree on the forgiving nature of the bike , it saved Carrot ( forum member , and a very good friend ) who ran through a giant lane covering pothole at 70 plus mph , hard enough it bottomed out but never wiggled ..... ill take slower handling than twitchy got to have a stabilizer or die kinda bike ....

I hit a football size rock going about 30 mph, slamming it hard, but the Tenere just split it in half and kept going. Probably would've had a different outcome on most other bikes.

Offline Xclimation

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2018, 06:27:36 pm »
Thanks to this thread....I think my change my route in August.  I was planning on riding to Palo Duro Canyon stay for a couple of days. The do the Roswell UFO museum pass through and see how far I go heading to Moab.  Spend up to a week riding around Moab. Then on the way back I was going to make my way to Alamagordo get on hwy. 82 through Cloudcroft then either go home or head more southern to Big Bend Area.   Never ridden Hwy. 82 on a motorcycle. Many times in a car. Half my family lives in Tuscon and we'd take this route. I remember sweating it out last summer because only saw one gas station after Alamagordo then the one gas station in Cloudcroft was out of order? Couldn't find gas to Artesia (which turned out to be ethanol free!)
I may alter this trip and hit Roswell on the way back or .....hit Hwy 82 on the way and end up taking IH25 to IH40 to hwy 191....we'll see..
2015 Super Tenere Power Commander PCFC, Catless OEM headers, Delkevic slip-on, Uni-filters, Modified Airbox, Altrider Crash bars and skid plate, Flat seat mod. Dash in-fill, Nighteyes LED headlight bulbs, SW motech tank bag, Madstad windshield bracket, Parabellum/Give Airgflow windshield (Using stock windshield mostly) Touratech Headlight guard, Rox Risers, RideonAdv. extended brake/clutch lines

Offline ADKsuper10

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2018, 04:50:09 pm »
Y'all have to remember....the bike isn't the only thing breaking in.  You will break-in right along with the bike.  My throttle seemed twitchy when I first got it.  Adjusted my throttle hand, and voila!  Other bikes seem sluggish now.  I have an FN .308 SPR that that had a similar break-in period, right along with me.  Now?  Perfection; with both the bike and the rifle.  ::001::

what adjustment to your throttle hand (grip) did you make to make “S” mode a little easier to deal with?

i have found that moving my clutch lever all the way out to position “1” has helped me greatly when in “S” mode. 

Offline Ramseybella

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2018, 01:31:35 pm »
Thanks to this thread....I think my change my route in August.  I was planning on riding to Palo Duro Canyon stay for a couple of days. The do the Roswell UFO museum pass through and see how far I go heading to Moab.  Spend up to a week riding around Moab. Then on the way back I was going to make my way to Alamagordo get on hwy. 82 through Cloudcroft then either go home or head more southern to Big Bend Area.   Never ridden Hwy. 82 on a motorcycle. Many times in a car. Half my family lives in Tuscon and we'd take this route. I remember sweating it out last summer because only saw one gas station after Alamagordo then the one gas station in Cloudcroft was out of order? Couldn't find gas to Artesia (which turned out to be ethanol free!)
I may alter this trip and hit Roswell on the way back or .....hit Hwy 82 on the way and end up taking IH25 to IH40 to hwy 191....we'll see..
If you plan on camping anywhere in New Mexico, check to see if the Camp ground you plan on staying at is going to be open.
Most all of the CG's, BLM, forestry roads including hiking and Mountain bike trails are closed due to extreme fire danger in my neck of the woods.
Some of the southern areas mainly desert could just be fire pit restrictions, Oliver Lee SP in Alamogordo was open one year but yellow taped the fire pits.