Author Topic: Problems shifting - Lube shifter and brake pivot  (Read 20637 times)

Offline ADKsuper10

Re: Problems shifting - Lube shifter and brake pivot
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2018, 10:50:05 pm »
The problem is dust and sand, not water intrusion, so it matters little what kind of grease is used. Grit gets in there and interferes with the (inexplicably) exquisitely sensitive clearances of the shift mechanism. An O-ring seal would prevent the problem, and it's too bad there isn't one.

It's advisable to disassemble, clean and grease the assembly periodically, but rarely necessary to do so in the field. WD-40 works because it liquefies the grease and flushes it out along with the grit. It should be followed up with a few drops of oil. In my experience, working the lever while adding a few drops of oil is usually by itself enough to flush out the grit, so I carry a tiny dropper bottle of 3-in-1.

My buddy came by today with his GS and we (as usual) talked about the differences and similarities of  the two bikes (always on tpositives). It usually ends up with me wondering if I should have bought a GS and if he should have waited and bought an S10 (his GS is a 2012). Anyway, I mentioned this little bit of maintenance to him and that I thought it made my shifting much smoother and he said he has never greased anything like this - he just brings it in for service at the dealer and they do what they do. He has about 30,000 on his GS.

We have ridden each other’s bikes and really one does not lack anything the other has as far as the riding experience.

I kinda got off topic there but it’s Friday night on a holiday weekend after all!

Offline pkelly20

« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2018, 08:41:58 am »
I decided to lube my shift lever pivot after reading this thread. 2017 ES model with 2,000 km.

Pivot bolt had blue thread locker on it.  Used my ratchet and 6mm hex socket.  Had to lean on it a bit but once it started to turn it was out.  Forget trying to use the short Allen keys for this.

Pivot bolt had no grease and I have not ridden in rain or washed the bike enough to displace grease.

Cleaned it up and lubed it with white lithium auto grease.

There was a lot of thread lock on that bolt. More than a couple drops.  It was slow to turn all the way out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ADKsuper10

« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2018, 02:44:33 pm »
I had to put the muscle to mine too to loosen it. I think inward pressure on the socket while cranking on it kept it from sttripping out on me.  Had to put considerable force in and counter-clockwise to prevent it from slipping and buggering it up.

Offline pkelly20

« Reply #108 on: June 10, 2018, 06:56:47 pm »
I had to put the muscle to mine too to loosen it. I think inward pressure on the socket while cranking on it kept it from sttripping out on me.  Had to put considerable force in and counter-clockwise to prevent it from slipping and buggering it up.
Yep - sounds about right. I wasn’t worried about stripping the hex head of the bolt, but it felt the way an aluminum bolt feels as it starts to shear, but then I saw the blue of the thread lock and knew what was going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ADKsuper10

« Reply #109 on: June 11, 2018, 08:23:07 pm »
The problem is dust and sand, not water intrusion, so it matters little what kind of grease is used. Grit gets in there and interferes with the (inexplicably) exquisitely sensitive clearances of the shift mechanism. An O-ring seal would prevent the problem, and it's too bad there isn't one.

It's advisable to disassemble, clean and grease the assembly periodically, but rarely necessary to do so in the field. WD-40 works because it liquefies the grease and flushes it out along with the grit. It should be followed up with a few drops of oil. In my experience, working the lever while adding a few drops of oil is usually by itself enough to flush out the grit, so I carry a tiny dropper bottle of 3-in-1.

i have to say - nice wheelie in your profile photo!

Offline Curt

• Certifiable
    • Fishlet
« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2018, 07:24:04 pm »
Thanks! That was on a group ride somewhere in the Sierra Nevada.