Author Topic: escape to VA  (Read 1141 times)

Offline spklbuk

escape to VA
« on: November 11, 2012, 09:40:36 am »
Ma Nature blessed WV with what may well be one last shot of fantastic weekend weather, off me and Alegany went.  Dirt Dad rides to WV to seek the snow, I thought it would be good to visit his home state to avoid  the white stuff.  Leaving behind our beloved Alleghenies we plunged headlong into the Ridge and Valley (aka “those Hokie Mtns”) and the Jefferson National Forest, I rode some really fine twisty one and two laners across and half dozen or so mountain passes to reach the Motherland.

Once there, I could not find anything interesting and had to make due with this forest service road!… ;)

I ran about 15 miles along the windward side of this ridge

From where you see the highest ridge in the background

As per usual, Ol’ Paint performed flawlessly.  I’m out to her stall to give her a little make ready for winter tlc…

« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 09:42:48 am by spklbuk »
Montani Semper Liberi

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
― Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac

Offline CapsLock

• Life at Walking Speed
Re: escape to VA
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 09:47:56 am »
Excellent indeed!!   ::012::
Currently not an owner as we've gone sailing for awhile.
*Denver to Deadhorse, June 2005.*
*SS1000 Sept. 2005 on GSXR750*
-The Past: Honda CL90, Suzuki T-250, Suzuki TS-250, Suzuki TM 250, Suzuki RM 250, Suzuki GT 750, Suzuki GSXR 750, Honda GL-1500, Kawasaki KLR 650

Offline spklbuk

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 12:26:55 pm »
Excellent indeed!!   ::012::

Not too far south of ya; 3 hours on the Parkway and...if yer ever in the mood.
Montani Semper Liberi

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”

Offline Dirt_Dad

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 05:15:15 pm »
Welcome to Virginia.  Please watch your speed.  Our state is notorious for hammering people hard for their speed infractions.  Which is a much bigger motivation than snow for me to visit your state. 

Do you still have snow at your place? 
17 Super Tenere ES
15 Super Tenere ES
12 Super Tenere (currently for sale at Romney Cycles)
12 Yamaha XT250
13 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline spklbuk

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 06:25:59 pm »
Welcome to Virginia.  Please watch your speed.  Our state is notorious for hammering people hard for their speed infractions.  Which is a much bigger motivation than snow for me to visit your state. 

Do you still have snow at your place?

Yep, I know.  I've been riding VA for 40 years or so.  I once had a nice afternoon $800 chat with a judge in the same VA county where I was riding yesterday...I think he said something about reckless behavior.  ??? Me?  O:-)

Snow here remains only in patches.  As of Fri, still 2 feet in the high country.  There was still snow on the state line on the north side of Peters Mtn but the backroad was dry.
Montani Semper Liberi